Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can we discuss lambda vs afr?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Can we discuss lambda vs afr?

I have been doing some tuning for several years and attended thetuningschool.com. There method of tuning basically consists of using STFT's to calibrate the VE and MAF. While this seems to work great in most cases, I have also been looking into Greg Banishes tuning teachings. As far as I can tell so far, he uses the wideband to correct VE and MAF. In the beginning of his dvd he goes over how lambda works and how much easier it makes things for tuning part throttle. In that part he uses a gauge that costs more than $3k. While I'm sure some shops use those, I don't know of any. I would however like to look into the lambda reading more. Do most here agree or do you think I should stay with AFR and figure out the difference. I only tune gen 3 PCM's and don't use ethanol or other fuels. If Lambda is that much better, what is a good WB to use that easily goes from car to car like my LM2?
Old 02-22-2017, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

You first have to realize that an o2 wideband sensor measures one thing: o2 content. Not hydrocarbons.

With that in mind, using lambda enables you to use the same scale and ratios for ANY hydrocarbon.

1 lambda in gas, ethanol, methanol, propane, diesel, is all the exact same thing. How is thag possible? Well because the sensor READS oxygen content not "fuel" content.

The gauge or wideband you bought is just programmed to spit out an AFR reading through a simple formula.

1 lambda in gasoline afr scale would be approx 14.68 afr, while using pure ethanol, it would be approximately 9 afr.

There is a huge discrepancy between 14.68 afr and 9 afr..especially when you start using methanol..you dip in the low single digits.

In order to prevent memorizing all these afr numbers, lambda enables us to "normalize" or set a standard for fuel ratios.

1 lambda in gasoline will be 1 lambda in ethanol etc etc

Studies show that generally max mbt is reached with a lambda valur of .89 so what does that mean? Well assume you are using gas AFR. Stoich is 14.68, multiply that by .89, and you get the air fuel ratio that you should command whenever you want to make the best power which is about 13 afr. Now if lets say we were using 100% ethanol, the stoich is 9 afr, multiply times .89, you should be commanding about 8 afr. we get different numbers using afr scale, but we use the same lambda value of .89 for n/a fueling.

Rule of thumb in lambda
1=stoich
.89= lambda value for n/a (rule of thumb)
.78= forced induction

Throw that LM wideband to the trash, innovate is garbage. Use an NGK AFX with an ntk wideband sensor. Much more accurate and the closest youll have to the lambda pro that banish uses.

If youre going to tune solely gasoline then lambda wont really benefit you to know, but it starts becoming useful when you start mixing fuels such as meth injection with 93.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:24 AM
TECH Resident

After reading the output channel set up for the LM2 I guess I kind of figured out that it doesn't change out put V. Lambda 1 and 14.7 afr are the same. I guess I would just need to set up the scanner to read it as lambda.

As far as a different WB goes, AEM claims to have the fastest and most accurate with its new X series. Any thoughts on that?
Old 02-22-2017, 02:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

You are correct, lambda value of 1 is the same as 14.7 afr in gas scale. The voltage output never changes, only the number displayed by the gauge.

The 4.9 bosch LSU sensor is still inferior to lab grade NTK sensors. Most widebands out there use bosch sensors. Innovate included.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:09 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

In HPT v3, it defaults to Lambda. So it makes it a shitload easier.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have also done the tuning school course. As I remember it they used the long term fuel trims, as opposed to the stft's. I wonder if they changed their methods? I'm confident it was LTFT used when I did it. Honestly I was disappointed when I seen that this is how they did it. I don't really agree it being a very good method. It is fine with a close to stock setup, but tuning 3 Bar SD cars making over 1000 whp it is only applicable to the cruising area. It is really hard to get enough data to get fuel trims established for much of the VE table outside of the normal cruising range. For these areas I have to look at my wide band data and estimate what the VE table should be in these less used regions, then blend or smooth it into the area I have good LTFT data for. To be honest I did learn a little from the course, mainly in the area of idle tuning, but I expected more from it. I probably would need to take the advanced course to get much out of it, but I'm reluctant to spend the money, since the first course didn't add much to my skills.

I always work in Lambda, but it makes no difference. AFR is just Lambda multiplied by stoich for the fuel you are using. It is just semantics in my opinion. I don't have a dyno, but a local guy has one I can rent by the hour to tune on. He tunes as one of the services he provides, but I don't do it professionally. I tune my own vehicles, and for friends and relatives. Occasionally for a friend of a friend, just as a favor. I usually run double widebands if I can, one I can route into HPTuners, and the one that is a fixture of the dyno. The dyno has additional tools on it like a map sensor you can attach to a vacuum line to log boost, a pick up to put on a coil pack to log rpm, and a wide band to go in the tailpipe. It is actually measuring Lambda but it's output is in AFR. To get Lambda from it I just divide it by 14.7. I like having 2 wide bands, that way I have one verifying what the other is reading correctly. If I have 2 wide bands telling my I'm at 0.77 Lambda on E85 at high levels of boost I get a confidence I'm where I want to be. I do use an innovate of my own and always have very good correlation with the one that is part of the dyno. I too have heard negative feedback on the Innovate products, so I have always been suspect of it. However I'm starting to think that it is either inconsistency from unit to unit, or it is sensitive to setup. I've had great results with mine, and have been using it for about 4-5 years. The only time I've had problems is if the bung for the sensor is too close to the outlet of the turbo. I like them at least 18" after the turbo, preferably 24" or more.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

The real advantage of using Lambda is when you start creating fuel cocktails. Gas + 10% ethanol. E10 Gas + methanol injection. Gas + 50% ethanol. E85 + methanol injection. Or in my case: Gas + E30 + propane injection - it would be a guess to try and determine the stoich value and target AFR for that - lambda just works. Adjusting the PE and boost enrichment tables (timing adjust to suit) makes it so much easier.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:25 AM
TECH Resident

After watching Greg's DVD, (I've had it a while but just now really watched it and paid attention) that pro lambda sensor seems to work quite well. All of the sensors I have dealt with seem to jump around so quickly I can't wrap my head around where they even begin to average. After watching the VE and MAF tuning sections I realize that when you are looking at averages in each cell it becomes much clearer. Also after seeing how close things were after just one round of corrections, it sure seems much more efficient than using fuel trim error.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Lambda, AFR, and EQ Ratio are just scales. Lambda and EQ are the same only the inverse of one another. 1/Lambda = EQ and 1/EQ = Lambda. You can tune in any of them if your logging the correct parameters and using the correct data for stoichiometric. Most of your wideband if not all of them use lambda and convert to AFR for your gauge to display.
The advantage of lambda is stoch is 1.00 for any fuel and you use the same scale for all fuels. If your not used to lambda you can always setup your scanner to log in AFR and Lambda and see how they correlate. If your on pump gas its not a big deal, tuning a flex fuel vehicle with e85 or any mixture of ethanol you see quickly why tuning in lambda is easier when mapping out commanded afr vs actual and commanded lambda vs actual.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
In HPT v3, it defaults to Lambda. So it makes it a shitload easier.
So are all of the widebands now, going to log in lambda on HPT? I have the NGK and haven't swapped over to lambda, because my gauge doesn't, and I don't want to be going back and forth between afr to lambda and back. There is too much more room for error.

I still have last summers version on HPT. I think it's 3.2, and it still logs AFR. I haven't touched 3.4 yet.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

been reading up on that NGK AFRM GEN2...not a bad price.

bummed to ditch my aem wideband...it fits in the dash so nicely
Old 03-03-2017, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With hp version 3.x when setting up the wideband for lambda, do you just chose equivalence ratio?

If so will it log reverse. Meaning about 1.0 is rich and below is lean?
Old 10-06-2017, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motor head Mike that wagon is sick! Just checked out the og pics. How's that coming?
Old 10-07-2017, 10:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default UEGO Calibration

Hi Cody, good question AND PREFECT "tech" by Subeone.

I too have a Horiba UEGO Meter used to calibrate my ECU-882 "look-up" tables.

YES again, I tune with Lambda @ .891-.903 as common with .781-.863 for SC engines in most cases.
My ECU-882 can specify the AFR number requested in the "units" table.
WE do many AFR's such as Meth, E-100, E-85, NG, Propane, etc.

MY CONCERN is for Cody's LM-2 as the Innovate method is to "toss" the UEGO Calibration Resistor.

I Invented the Four Wire EGO for NTK using my bench dyno, and TWO sensors in the same pipe at the same time. (one EGO three wire AND one UEGO semsor)
I added a ground wire to the body of the EGO (three wire now four wire) with the "read" better than the UEGO, much faster.
My method was to ADD a scope leed to the 0-1 volt output with witness of EACH Cylinders firing Lambda measurement better than the UEGO. (1980's)

The LM-1 was invented later and tested with the same test, one pipe with TWO sensors.
The "read" was MUCH different when the Horiba UEGO/Innovate UEGO were reported with the LM-1/2 read as a 12.00 AND proper read of the Horiba as 13.00 AFR.

This report was provided to NTK with the "repair" method of creating their OWN BRAND AFRM.
I tested one of the first, on my bench dyno finding the AFRM/Horiba as EQUAL in the AFR report.

I fit the NTK "hot start" sensors most often AND when used in an engine with normal operating conditions, they work VERY well with a cost of $ 65.00.

Lance

Last edited by pantera_efi; 10-07-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
Lambda, AFR, and EQ Ratio are just scales. Lambda and EQ are the same only the inverse of one another. 1/Lambda = EQ and 1/EQ = Lambda. You can tune in any of them if your logging the correct parameters and using the correct data for stoichiometric.
Agreed.

With my two personal widebands they read stoich but output AFR, and they make stoich a 14.7 reading on the display. Guess what, I set my PCM to 14.7 stoich, command 14.7 stoich, make corrections and IM DONE. I have no clue why on a 411 PCM why you would start jacking around trying to reinvent the wheel. The "math" forms you a VE table with a percentage correction using AFR error with is the same as lambda error or eq ratio. So retarded to make it more complicated. My .02.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

as mentioned before, it makes tuning with different fuels a breeze.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

How so? My wideband outputs 14.7 for stoich. It doesnt matter what fuel you're using, if its stoich, its 14.7 on the display. Tuning to 14.7 on the display is tuning to stoich. You guys crack me up.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

so do you want a ladder or something to get down off that high horse or you just gonna stay up there being a *****?
Old 10-08-2017, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nope crybaby, Im asking you to explain how eq ratio makes "tuning for different fuels" easier. I agree when setup properly all accurate data can be used to correct fueling. But why undo something thats already programmed to work correctly? If you can make a logical explanation Id be willing to listen. Wanna know what Ive seen? It confuses the **** out of people. You EQ ratio people need to get off your high horse and make things as simple as possible for the newbie tuners.
The following users liked this post:
rel3rd (08-31-2019)
Old 10-08-2017, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

I want a horse...oh ****, no I don't. I want more horsepower. Damn it, now I'm confused.

Quick Reply: Can we discuss lambda vs afr?