PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OPEN loop rough idle, smooth closed loop idle....?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OPEN loop rough idle, smooth closed loop idle....?

So I'm having problems with my LS1/T56 swapped second gen Camaro still....

it seems that the car is running better in CLOSED loop than open loop....weird

now I'm a rookie with fuel injection and still learning but soaking it up like a sponge so bear with me.

In open loop (outside temp in Ohio is roughly
60F today) the right bank mostly is acting up. The headers on that side read way below the left side in temperature according to my IR thermometer. If I wiggle the #6 injector it fluctuates. Sometimes the wiggling will cause it to idle bad, sometimes the wiggling causes it to idle smooth. The right side o2 is bouncing from .1 to .9 volts VERY slowly. The drivers side however seems to fluctuate rather consistently like a sine wave

Could it be that the car needs a time job with the short term fuel trims on that side? I have a scanner tool and can get measurements if need be.

Im thinking there is something wrong mechanically at this point. Over/undertorqued valve springs (I rebuilt the engine almost 3 years ago but I'm sure I torque them down correctly like everything else)

any guidance is appreciated!
Old 03-28-2017, 08:31 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Or your fuel injectors aren't firing? Or spark plugs aren't producing spark. Etc.

Or the O2 on that side is switching slow and hasn't tripped a code yet.

Work on fuel/spark first. Then move to electrical. Then move to the tune once all that is exhausted.

On non-flow-matched injectors, you can see a 5-10% fluctuations bank to bank. So I normally tune off Bank 2 with my wideband then check the STFTs on both banks. Typically Bank 2 is spot on and Bank 1 is richer 5-8%. So what I do is I will just go back to the VE table and add in 3-4% across the board so I'm within 3% on one side and within 2-5% on the other.

When I had flow-matched injectors, the difference was 1-2% between banks. So that might be something to look at as well once you get all the gremlins diagnosed.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
On non-flow-matched injectors.....

When I had flow-matched injectors, the difference was 1-2% between banks. So that might be something to look at as well once you get all the gremlins diagnosed.
I can do the redneck stethoscope trick (screw driver to the ear touching the injector) and can hear them all clicking rhythmically. I can pull one plug wire at a time and turn over the engine and get spark on each plug.

So I don't think it would be the spark or fuel injection. But it could be

Now you specifically mentioned non-flow matched injectors. Meaning cylinder specific? Because I noticed on the back on my injectors there are tiny printed numbers and they aren't the same for all 8 injectors. Could I have put injectors on the wrong sides/forward or aft?
Old 03-28-2017, 11:33 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

No, flow matched just mean they all flow within 1-2% of each other.

If you just buy 8 random injectors. They can vary wildly.

Quick Reply: OPEN loop rough idle, smooth closed loop idle....?