PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rwhp HELP

Old 07-01-2004, 07:32 PM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question rwhp HELP

thanx for your help in advance guys, I have a 2002 z with slp-loud exh, k&n fipk, jet chip, and ultra z hood being shipped. what other mods besides boring my cylinders could i do for good rwhp results I'm thinking about pulleys, headers and a cam but i dont know much about them. any suggestions or comments would be great. plz tell me if tuning is needed after your mods.
Thanx
Old 07-01-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
thanx for your help in advance guys, I have a 2002 z with slp-loud exh, k&n fipk, jet chip, and ultra z hood being shipped. what other mods besides boring my cylinders could i do for good rwhp results I'm thinking about pulleys, headers and a cam but i dont know much about them. any suggestions or comments would be great. plz tell me if tuning is needed after your mods.
Thanx
Are you looking for your cheaper mods first? I just got my ride about 2 months ago and I have not done anything major to it. All the things on it now were on it when I bought it, but I have many many plans for the future!
Definitley go for the headers! You also may think about a good MAF, Tb Bypass, smooth bellow (Those last two will help a little but no major gains!), new TB, and intake manifold. Also, a good high performance cam and some head work is never a mistake! If you you really want to spend some dough, get yourself a supercharger.

Also, just a little thing about gears. A lot of people will argue on what gears are the best. I like my 4.10's but a lot of others really like the 3.73 to 3.90 range so they do not compromise their top end. I have a friend with 2.73's in his TA and he can get some real speed on the interstate.I like mine because my car sees more city than highway driving and it gives a better dig from a redlight. That is all preference, though and like I said...the opinions will differ and its all up to the driver.

Hopefully that helped out a little. I am getting ready to install a TB bypass on my car this week which is supposed to give you 6-8 more hp...at the wheels according to online research and word of mouth. I will let you know if this little $10 mod helps any.

Last edited by hepcatws6; 07-01-2004 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
Thanx
Oh yeah, and a little computer tweaking is a must! You can get a Hypertech Power Programmer on Ebay much cheaper than if you were to buy one from their website.

Any more questions just ask. Theres a lot of knowledge on this site!
Old 07-01-2004, 09:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hepcatws6
Oh yeah, and a little computer tweaking is a must! You can get a Hypertech Power Programmer on Ebay much cheaper than if you were to buy one from their website.

Any more questions just ask. Theres a lot of knowledge on this site!
a programmer is about the biggest waste of money for these cars dude. for 100 bucks more he can get a real tune with ls1 edit which he will have to do with a cam anyway. and the stock maf is not something you want to ge rid of unless you go with a bigger intake, they do nothing and are harder to tune.

you deffinatly want to get some headers, throttle body and a pulley. they are good mods. then you should be about ready for a cam. are you running a auto or a m6 trans?
Old 07-01-2004, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
a programmer is about the biggest waste of money for these cars dude. for 100 bucks more he can get a real tune with ls1 edit which he will have to do with a cam anyway. and the stock maf is not something you want to ge rid of unless you go with a bigger intake, they do nothing and are harder to tune.

you deffinatly want to get some headers, throttle body and a pulley. they are good mods. then you should be about ready for a cam. are you running a auto or a m6 trans?
Nice times at the track, man! I'm not too up on the LS1Edit? Better Programmer? I need to dig down into my engine and really see for myself what was replaced by the original owner! I don't think that the girl I bought it from really had any idea what was on it! Wish there were a way fro me to get a hold of the first owner and talk to him myself!
Old 07-01-2004, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, whats your suggestion for a pulley and how much power will I get from that. I have heard 10hp, but a recent article in Tech said it could go as high as 20 or so.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:13 PM
7 Second Club

Default headers and tuning for a cam

what headers(heard many different names), throttle body and cam might u suggest, o and i got the auto tran. and name some websites for products plz.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:29 PM
TECH Veteran

get a thunder racing ported throttle body, a ASP pulley and some hooker longtubes are pretty good headers, i have the thunder race headers with no emissions hook ups. a tb and pulley is probably worth 10hp. ls1 edit is not a programmer is is software for you cpu that alows you to change 1000 time more that a programmer. this is what most tunners use.

the cam i suggest is base upon how much drivability you are willing to give up and how much power you want. how much lope, goals for the car.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

get a thunder racing ported throttle body, a ASP pulley and some hooker longtubes are pretty good headers, i have the thunder race headers with no emissions hook ups. a tb and pulley is probably worth 10hp. ls1 edit is not a programmer is is software for you cpu that alows you to change 1000 time more that a programmer. this is what most tunners use.

the cam i suggest is base upon how much drivability you are willing to give up and how much power you want. how much lope, goals for the car.
Thanks, man, I will have to check out the LS1Edit. BY the way, nice rwhp...thats the kinda power I want to get. Actually, the cam that I want is a good low end cam to take advantage of my 4.10's. I want a serious lope as well. I want my ride to shake side to side like the old muscle cars did. Give me a suggestion.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks, man, I will have to check out the LS1Edit. BY the way, nice rwhp...thats the kinda power I want to get. Actually, the cam that I want is a good low end cam to take advantage of my 4.10's. I want a serious lope as well. I want my ride to shake side to side like the old muscle cars did. Give me a suggestion.
you might want to check out the tr 230 cam, better low end than mine, but still pulls good up top. for the lope just get a low lsa number like a 111 or 110
Old 07-03-2004, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

a programmer is about the biggest waste of money for these cars dude. for 100 bucks more he can get a real tune with ls1 edit which he will have to do with a cam anyway.

where around stl can i get edited for bout 100 bucks i need it pretty bad.

thanks

jmac
Old 07-03-2004, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you might want to check out the tr 230 cam, better low end than mine, but still pulls good up top. for the lope just get a low lsa number like a 111 or 110
Yeah, I want the old "womp, womp, womp" sound and some good side to seide rockin' action.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jmac_98ls1
a programmer is about the biggest waste of money for these cars dude. for 100 bucks more he can get a real tune with ls1 edit which he will have to do with a cam anyway.

where around stl can i get edited for bout 100 bucks i need it pretty bad.

thanks

jmac
who said anything about 100 bucks. you even quoted what i said and still didnt read it. i said 100 bucks more as in 350programmer+100bucks.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, I want the old "womp, womp, womp" sound and some good side to seide rockin' action.
you could always get my cam. when i drive aroud town everyone looks at the car like wtf is in it. i cant have a full drink in the car on idle

Search this Thread