Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IAT's, ECT's and tuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IAT's, ECT's and tuning

I have notice a 50* difference in IAT from sitting still with the engine off and the engine hot and when moving. I'm sure the variance can be even greater, This is with a VaraRam.
Has anyone logged their IAT's with non cold air boxes?
I suspect that some of the tuning problems with big cams and TB's are a result of using the same RAF values from 80*C and up. The stock values are that way, but with big cams and big TB's, hotter temps may need different settings.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:43 PM
10 Second Club

i would imagine the variance is from when your moving there is cool or not 200 degree air passing by the iat and when your stopped its not so the radiator is heating up the sensor
Old 07-02-2004, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gojo
I have notice a 50* difference in IAT from sitting still with the engine off and the engine hot and when moving. I'm sure the variance can be even greater, This is with a VaraRam.
Has anyone logged their IAT's with non cold air boxes?
I suspect that some of the tuning problems with big cams and TB's are a result of using the same RAF values from 80*C and up. The stock values are that way, but with big cams and big TB's, hotter temps may need different settings.
I watched them the other day. I don't think that is the problem at all. I was surprised how steady the IAT counts were at cruise and idle.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Another_User
I watched them the other day. I don't think that is the problem at all. I was surprised how steady the IAT counts were at cruise and idle.

Maybe it has to do with the location of the sensor/intake tract on the Vettes. Mine jumps around considerably. gojo you have mail. Happy 4TH!!!!
joel