Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why am I slower???

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 01:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why am I slower???

Ok. Here is the dyno results as before and I have also included another one which shows the Air/Fuel table I believe.

I have also included 4 timeslips. 2 from my previous trip in May, and 2 from Friday night.

Couple of points. First off it was about 10 degrees colder, so weather should have helped not hindered. The 1st timeslip from Friday I hit the rev limiter for about a second before it shifted to 3rd. Also I shift into 3rd gear just before I cross the 1/8 mile. That has altered the results a little. The car also had a chance to sit and cool off for about 10 mins as the previous race had problems and I had to sit. On the last run I had ironed out the shift problem but still ran slower (car was hotter and this was more of a realistic time). You can see however that even on my best 60' ever, by the 330' I was already slower than my trip in May. The car has to be running much poorer as I'm about 3 tenths slower. And I supposedly gained 31 HP with my tuning AND made a nice jump with my gears going from 2:73's to 3:42's. With my old gears I'd say I was about a half a second slower than before. Could that whole misfiring problem I had have damaged something? They did say my lifters are ticking a bit, but that is was not abnormal for an LS1. All of those issues developed since that last trip in May. Of course I'm taking the car back to Hardcore Motorsports to have them look at this. Any thoughts on what you see here though. Any suggestions on what I should tell them? I spent $1600 and now my car is slower than before.

:?
Old 07-04-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

I hate to say it, but if the conditions are as you say, maybe your tune sucks. How many miles did you drive between track dates? You may want to check a lot of your tune up stuff. Check you air filter, pull your computer codes (if any), run some injector/cylinder head cleaner through, check your spark plugs, if you have a new ticking check for a loose plug wire. Consider a fuel filter change (depending on last change, and how many miles).

Here is another important point to consider:
You probably didn't notice, but I bet your transmission makes an extra shift before the end of the 1/4 mile. I don't have an A4, so I don't know where the shift points are, but you changed your gear ratio. That means that you don't get as high a MPH in each gear, so maybe you have to account for an extra shift. I would have expected you 1/8 mile time to be higher and you 1/4 mile times to be lower if that were the case though. When you got your vehicle tuned, did you remove some "canned" tuning before? It's always possible your tuner was not as aggressive on the shifts so you don't destroy your tranny.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the suggestions. Let me answer your questions.

I have driven maybe 1500-1800 miles since the 2 track dates.

Haven't thought to check the air filter - I will make sure its not plugged up.

Car was throwing some codes but they were deleted with the tune - egr removal and no back o2's were causing it.

Ticking developed sometime in between the runs - It is very very quiet, but it wasn't there before. I was told its very normal for an LS1.

I'll inquire about a fuel filter change, Plugs were changed before run in May. Wires were changed before my run Friday.

Tranny does not shift an extra time. I was in 3rd gear crossing the quarter mile before and still am now.

I had no tuning before and I have pretty much set my shift points near redline around 6000-6200 rpms.

I have this posted on other boards and I'm being told that the dyno shows problems. It's smoothing is maxed out and the graph is STILL very shakey which it shouldn't be. They probably didn't iron out the problems the car was having before they dyno tuned me like they were supposed to.