Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hpp3 ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hpp3 ?

if i buy a programmer that has a vin in it how do i get the vin out without having the car?
Old 07-08-2004, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unhappy

The only way I have heard of it done is to send it back to Hypertech. I am sure they charge a arm and a leg. I would try to find the car it was linked to.

Bill
Old 07-08-2004, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup... gotta send it back to hypertech... they may not even do it...

Since whomever originally owned the HPP3 never removed the tune from their car (if they had the HPP3 would no longer be VIN locked) then that means unlocking the HPP3 is the same as a brand new unit and 2 people then get tunes...

If you haven't already bought it ... don't if you have... best bet would be to talk to whomever you bought it from and have them remove the hpp3 stuf from their car completely (which they should have done when they sold it since a locked HPP3 is useless)
Old 07-08-2004, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i see. what if i had the capabilites to change the vin om my computer to the vin stored in the hpp3. would it recognize that the tune isn't there or it wouldn't matter if the computer had gm tune on it? i'm not speculating i do have the capabilites
Old 07-08-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure... I never attempted that... it may work... all depends on how they lock onto a PCM... if they lock on via the VIN then yea it should work (so long as the OS of your PCM is the same as the OS of the PCM that was edited) but if they lock on via a PCM ID value (like LS1 Edit) then it'd really be only 1 PCM at a time

I don't think just changing the VIN would work though... the HPP3 will think that it's in use ... so it's already edited a PCM... then you connect to a non HPP3 edited PCM ...