PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with codes please!

Old 08-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with codes please!

I was driving to work yesterday morning and as I accelerated to merge with highway traffic the ses came on. car felt fine, no smoke or noises. still has power on kick down and wot. but when i come to a stop it sometimes studders and tries to stall. gas mileage took a huge hit. went to atuo store and used a scanner and this is what it found:

p0131
o2 sensor
circuit low volts
(bank 1 sensor 1)

p0138
o2 sensor
circuit high voltage
(bank 1 sensor 2)

p0300
ramdom/multiple cylinder misfire detected

any ideas as to where to start looking or what it could be? daily driver-please help!
Old 08-28-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look'em up at gearchatter.com if you don't have a manual. P0300 probably a result of throwing P0131.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Ok, I checked out the site.Helped a little. So,my drivers side o2's are the ones thowing codes? Seems the front's is saying too lean (low volts) and the rear is saying rich (high volts).How can lean change to rich? I assume the ramdom misfires are from the drivers bank since thats the side with the code throwing o2's.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:25 PM
Launching!

anybody?
Old 08-30-2006, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

sounds like both of your driver side o2 sensors are bad. try replacing them. i know it is expensive, but my car did the same thing and the new sensors solved the problem.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Actually, it sounds like your B1S1 (driver's side, front O2) sensor is bad. If it's reading lean and the PCM is compensating with positive fuel trims (dumping more fuel in), the rear O2 would be working correctly by saying the exhaust is too rich. Temporary solution would be to switch the front driver's side O2 (B1S1) with the rear driver's side O2 (B1S2). You may still throw a code after the cat, but the car will at least drive much better since it won't be running ungodly rich in bank 1.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you recently done any modifications? such as headers?

The P0131 code is putting you into Open Loop, so it's dumping more fuel than normal... too much fuel can cause a misfire

Check your fuses (though not likely that since all O2 sensors are on the same circuit) and make sure no wires are hitting the manifolds/headers...

You can try swapping your O2 sensors around under the car to see if the front code follows (as indicated the rear is likely cause the front's reading bad)
Old 08-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by horist
have you recently done any modifications? such as headers?

The P0131 code is putting you into Open Loop, so it's dumping more fuel than normal... too much fuel can cause a misfire

Check your fuses (though not likely that since all O2 sensors are on the same circuit) and make sure no wires are hitting the manifolds/headers...

You can try swapping your O2 sensors around under the car to see if the front code follows (as indicated the rear is likely cause the front's reading bad)
No recent mods (well... shift kit) , this just popped up a few days ago suddenly. It is using way more fuel. Driver's side wires are clear. Are you thinking the ramdom misfires are strictly on the drivers side like I do? Its raining fairly hard right now so im not popping the hood until it stops. Are the o2's fuse's listed on the black fuse box as o2 sensor fuses or are they in circuit with something else and listed under that component? I'll switch the o2's tommorow. Will something like this cause me to fail a state inspection?
Old 08-30-2006, 05:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by edstrokedta
sounds like both of your driver side o2 sensors are bad. try replacing them. i know it is expensive, but my car did the same thing and the new sensors solved the problem.
After all the input from you guys and looking around I agree that it is one or both the sensors are bad.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Launching!

It really seem like the front sensor is bad. I have the same or near the same power at wot so I dought its starving for fuel (fuel filter cloged-bad pump, ect). It starts fine and for the most part runs strong except at idle and part throttle acceleration so spark is probably good too. Btw this car has a little over 50,000 miles on it. Dtc's suggest this is on drivers side only with codes only on drivers side. Could a bad cat cause all this too? Would the excess back pressure cause a lean condition or would the oppisite happen? I know the car is due for a tune up and this will be addressed later. Thanks guys!! Keep it coming..
Old 08-30-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Try switching the O2's and you'll most likely have all of your answers. The cat isn't bad...well...it's extremely unlikely it is with only 50K on the clock. You'll run yourself ragged coming up with what it could be. Start with the easy stuff first. It's kind of like the saying: It was in the last place I looked. Duh...why would you keep looking if you found it.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
Try switching the O2's and you'll most likely have all of your answers. The cat isn't bad...well...it's extremely unlikely it is with only 50K on the clock. You'll run yourself ragged coming up with what it could be. Start with the easy stuff first. It's kind of like the saying: It was in the last place I looked. Duh...why would you keep looking if you found it.
True. Just trying reason why i would have a lean front o2 code and then a rich rear o2 code. What has been explained makes more sense (first the lean condition and then the pcm compensated and the rear o2 was saying rich). I was unlogically thinking that these codes were thrown at the same time. ooppss! The cat was the third thing that came to mind when I read the code print out saying lean and rich. Bare with me this is my first time tracking DTC's on anything.

Search this Thread