Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extra length of wire for O2's cause >>>

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 07:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Extra length of wire for O2's cause >>>

a differance between the divers side and the passenger side? We added wire to the passenger side cause we could not locate the supplied hookup from SLP.We did finally find it the SLP wires and added it to ensure no wire would hit the header.So with the extra length would that cause a variance (O2 readings are higher on the passenger side) between the two banks?
Andy
Old 07-12-2004, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Ok, how much higher?
But the the added wire shouldn't make a diff.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:59 AM
12 Second Club

6 to 8 inches in length and double that of the drivers side.Sometimes they are the same and somtimes they can be -1.56 and the other is -3.25
Old 07-12-2004, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99SSragtop
6 to 8 inches in length and double that of the drivers side.Sometimes they are the same and somtimes they can be -1.56 and the other is -3.25

I cut my O2 sensor wires about 2 inches from the connector and extended the wires and soldered and shrink wrapped them back. I too am getting weird results. I have the GM Tech CD's and it explicitly states to not cut anything toward the O2 sensor meaning you could cut the wire from the PCM up to the connector that connect to the o2 but you are not supposed to alter the wire on the O2 sensor to the connector at all as it says is actually used for fresh air sampling or something of that nature. I just went a purchased this weekend 2 rear O2's for a 02 vette which are identical to our cars except that the length of the cable is about 2.5 feet. This was what I was told to do by a reputable PCM tuner. I haven't installed them yet but I am seeing weird Fuel Trims that are not consistent to what I was seeing when I didn't have the wires spliced.

BTW, You can pick up the Bosch O2 Sensors I am talking about for 55.00 ea @ AutoZone. They are just very long versions of what we have stock and they have heat shields all the way down the wires so you won't need to buy extra ones. I have the part numbers if you need them.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

Please let me know what those part numbers are. So the 02 extensions from the vendors would be faulty aslo then, correct?
Wolfee
Old 07-12-2004, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

we cut the wire from the PCM to the connector,we accessed the wire right near the passenger shock.So I take it we are safe.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99SSragtop
we cut the wire from the PCM to the connector,we accessed the wire right near the passenger shock.So I take it we are safe.
You should be ok as that is what GM recommends to do in their service manuals. As far as O2 Extenders are concerned they are safe as well as you are not changing anything on the o2 sensor to it's connector for it's air reference supply through the wires. Extenders are after the connector to the PCM so it is ok to use them.

The part number is Bosch 13111 $55.99 @ Autozone
Or you can go to the parts counter and tell them you need a 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Oxygen Sensor located after the Catalystic Converter.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by monodax
You should be ok as that is what GM recommends to do in their service manuals. As far as O2 Extenders are concerned they are safe as well as you are not changing anything on the o2 sensor to it's connector for it's air reference supply through the wires. Extenders are after the connector to the PCM so it is ok to use them.

The part number is Bosch 13111 $55.99 @ Autozone
Or you can go to the parts counter and tell them you need a 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Oxygen Sensor located after the Catalystic Converter.
I did a search on rear corvette O2 sensors and they were around $55.00, but when I looked up the price by part number it was $69.00. Same thing at autozone. What's the diffrence???
Old 12-09-2004, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

I just went into AutoZone and asked for rear 2002 corvette O2 sensors and they rang up @ 55.99 as they did not seem to have a way to look them up just by the part number.

There seems to be some differences at Autozones across the country. I have seen post where people ordering them online who pay more actually get the 1 year warranty whereas I only recieved a 3 month warranty go into the store and purchasing them. This may be the difference in the price or the online site is mis-stating the warranty (ie. typo) I am not for sure. I know Advance sells them as well for a higher price with the longer warranty. I personally did not need this as the ones stock lasted since 99 and they still had a good switching voltage. I only replaced them to have the longer harness so I would not need extensions.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

you could cut the wire from the PCM up to the connector that connect to the o2 but you are not supposed to alter the wire on the O2 sensor to the connector at all as it says is actually used for fresh air sampling or something of that nature. I just went a purchased this weekend 2 rear O2's for a 02 vette which are identical to our cars except that the length of the cable is about 2.5 feet.
I've heard that as well. The connector at the end of my WB sensor looked like it had some sorta compensator partr imbedded in it.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I bought my 13111's at autozone I too asked for rear 2002 corvette o2 sensors. They rang up at $69.95 give or take. They were definately not $55 for me. Maybe the front ones are, since they dont have the longer wires or higher wattage heater. Anyway, the resistance of the wire itself is not likely what causing the discrepency. It could however be a bad connection, like one of those crimp connectors. But most likely, its the same thing that happens in my car. The drivers side has sharper bends and I think it may slow the exhaust down and cool it more than the passenger sice, causing the exhaust to read a higher voltage. Ive swapped sensors and extentions many times and the discrepency remains.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
When I bought my 13111's at autozone I too asked for rear 2002 corvette o2 sensors. They rang up at $69.95 give or take. They were definately not $55 for me. Maybe the front ones are, since they dont have the longer wires or higher wattage heater. Anyway, the resistance of the wire itself is not likely what causing the discrepency. It could however be a bad connection, like one of those crimp connectors. But most likely, its the same thing that happens in my car. The drivers side has sharper bends and I think it may slow the exhaust down and cool it more than the passenger sice, causing the exhaust to read a higher voltage. Ive swapped sensors and extentions many times and the discrepency remains.

I definitely received the rear O2's when I purchased them. You can also use other applications as well like the large SUV's. They work with our VCM as well. They have very long extensions as well. I have attached the receipt from AutoZone when I purchased mine @ the lower price. I actually have several receipts from different locations with the same price.
Attached Thumbnails Extra length of wire for O2's cause >>>-receipt3.jpg  
Old 12-13-2004, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

definately dont buy the bosch os sensors. i talked to a gm master mechanic and he said they run at a different voltage. just stick with the ac delcos. as for cutting wires. i would definately not cut my harness. just buy the os extensions from casper i believe it is. monodax was right you cannot cut the o2 wires. you will set a code within a week. usually slow response. i know i just went through it. hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:22 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bmfcamaro
definately dont buy the bosch os sensors. i talked to a gm master mechanic and he said they run at a different voltage. just stick with the ac delcos. as for cutting wires. i would definately not cut my harness. just buy the os extensions from casper i believe it is. monodax was right you cannot cut the o2 wires. you will set a code within a week. usually slow response. i know i just went through it. hope this helps.
This is the first time I have read not to go with the bosch sensors. I have 10 windows open reading about O2 sensor problems with long tubes and everyone says to get the vette rears and you will be fine. Everyone recommends the Bosch O2s....

Who knows.

So who's got the best price on the AC Delco sensors and what's the part number?
Old 02-24-2005, 07:48 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Can anyone confirm or deny the Bosch not being as good as the AC Delco O2 sensors?

I ordered a new set of Bosch 13111 yesterday so I hope they work. My Bank2 sensor is stuck on 0.450mv and sometimes drops to 0.000mv, so I know it's dead. This is obviously play havic with my Ltrims as well.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will the AC Delco Corvette rears work as well as the Bosch's? Does the year matter, or is 2002 the only one that works? I can't decide whether to use these or just a standard F-body replacement AC Delco O2.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Will the AC Delco Corvette rears work as well as the Bosch's? Does the year matter, or is 2002 the only one that works? I can't decide whether to use these or just a standard F-body replacement AC Delco O2.
I looked into the 2002 ac delco vette rears but they were about $100 and I didn't have the cash at the time. Also, I don't think they had a 1yr warrenty.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I've had the 13111's in my front O2 bungs for a few weeks. Just this past weekend I started getting bank 1 adding 10% fuel. I had a recommendation to move them side-to-side to see if the problem stayed with the sensor. I have stock replacements as well, but I think I'll need new extensions because the old ones got thrown out. Doh.

The opinion was that the higher-wattage heater in the 13111's would keep the O2's active with cams and long tubes.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:18 AM
TECH Addict

A different voltage??? They get the same power as the car does, strait from a fused input, they are all the same voltage input.. just have a higher wattage heating element that uses more power.. So it isnt bad to use a better o2 sensor, i use them for years now with not one problem and are still very active.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

I just want the best option to replace my O2's sensors. It seems like AC Delco Corvette rear O2's will be the ticket.