Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hptuners

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default hptuners

ok i tried searching for some of this stuff...it's prolly there but i don't necassarily know what to typ in i tried a few things but it didn't give me what i was looking for...anyhow i was just wondering what is the great advantage of having hptuners or a software like it...can you tune your car with it without even getting on a dyno...and why not just take it to someone to get it tuned...i have hardly any clue about tuning...and just need insight..im completely lost
Old 07-16-2004, 04:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well getting someone to tune your car if your done with your setup isnt necessarily a bad thing BUT make sure you have open lines of communication with your tuner and know what hes doing...i didnt have that with mine and now im on my own with hp tuners. Doing it yourself in the longrun is more expensive ie laptop, program itself, time spent learning and then applying the program, possibly needing a w/b o2 sensor BUT youll get it back 10 fold not only in the experience gained but in how the car drives & performs at the track IMO...my drive to my tuner was 45 miles each way and I was tuned in open loop so i get about 12mpg highway lol so taking my car out to him each time started to suck after the first 2-3 times. You can make little adjustments as you go, can tune on the street instead of a dyno which alot of tuners only dyno tune the car. If your serious about racing id tune it myself otherwise finish your combo get a competent tuner to do your tune and be done with it.

lata
Bill
Old 07-16-2004, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the roughly $500 package the one I would need to tune only my car? From reading their website it includes everything, datalogger, scan tool, and the ability to reprogram. If that's the case I will be buying it in the near future because that was always the turn off. Before you had to buy Autotap, then upgrade to EFI Live to get the real time readings plus you still had to buy LS1 Edit to do the reprograming. I've been out of the loop for a few months but everyone seems pleased with HPTuning from what little I've read.

Oh and one more question. The HP Tuner can dissable CAGS, rear O2's, AIR, EGR, turn on fans, and reset thermostat settings also right? I'd really like to turn off AIR and EGR so when I get new headers I can get the cheaper ones without all the fittings.

Last edited by FAST LS1; 07-16-2004 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:17 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yah it does pretty much everything edit will do adn for more vehicles i believe...they're still fine tuning but 99% of the stuff between them is the same just tuners is tons faster writing & reading and as you mentioned already comes with a scanner.