Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random KR. (screen capture)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Random KR. (screen capture)

Does anyone know why I'd pick up random KR like this? As far as I know I was just cruising along... you can see that by the throttle position.

The data on the left reflects the moment of peak KR.

Vehicle info in sig...

Last edited by marc_w; 07-28-2004 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

Random KR is a tough thing to figure out. I have seen 'random' KR events that I have been able to attribute to driving over RR crossings or gravel in the road. But I have also seen them on smooth roads with no obvious explanations.
If you don't see this regularly, I doubt it is anything to worry about.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with deezel, this looks like false knock. Does this happen all the time????
Old 07-29-2004, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

At that RPM it could be driveline shock I guess. I have seen similar crap like that on my 98.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys...

I see a fair number of occurances of small amounts of knock under hard acelleration... This was the largest I saw as long as I can recall.

At times I have a small rapid knock in my steering shaft because it needs to be lubed. Do you think a knock from the steering could be 'heard'?

Otherwise, the whole front end of the truck is tight. I've got a few little custom brackets secureing tranny lines and power steering lines and such.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by marc_w
Thanks guys...

I see a fair number of occurances of small amounts of knock under hard acelleration... This was the largest I saw as long as I can recall.

At times I have a small rapid knock in my steering shaft because it needs to be lubed. Do you think a knock from the steering could be 'heard'?

Otherwise, the whole front end of the truck is tight. I've got a few little custom brackets secureing tranny lines and power steering lines and such.
I would be concerned if my steering shaft were knocking. I have never had one knock unless it was really really worn out. The steering shaft is close, but I doubt that would show up on the knock sensors.

Is it so loose that it could hit your exhaust manifold, or could your manifold be hitting it?
Old 07-30-2004, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Nah, it's a common thing with the full sized trucks... (luckily)

The shaft is at least two to three pieces - there is a section up by the firewall that's splined and it's allowed to slide to aid in removing the shaft, or maybe so the steering wheel doesn't take you out in a front-end colision. If the splines are dry, it's felt while turning as a very light knocking feeling in the wheel.