Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accel Gen 7 Users Inside!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 03:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accel Gen 7 Users Inside!

Looking for some LS1 type Gen III setups out there that are using the Accel Gen 7 DFI system and are turning 7500+ rpm. If you are doing this or trying to do this please post some feedback.

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2004, 12:01 AM
Teching In

my set up is 383 stage 3 ls6 2.05 1.60 valves comp double spring jessel mowhawks adjustable comp r lifters adjusted hot .003 preload ligenfelter intake portmatched to perfection and angle milled lunati crank rods and pistons 13.5:1 hooker 1 3/4 port matched dr gas x bullets mizer wpump bbk throttle body ported aluminum flywheel spec x pad ceramic all ARP studs and bolts 72 pound inject. nos nozzles billet rails aeromotive fuel pump 10an regulator 12an sump autometer gauges ultra lite custom accel dfi with wide band tuned at src in boca fl almost 500 tq and hp rear wheel with race gas 34 degrees timing 12:1 a/f dyno jet dyno George tuned it have done a lote of modes since then going for the tune on the spray this week 2 stage dry accel dfi will give the fuel and the wide band will cut the nos if it goes above 13.5 a/f george said i should go with a 100 1st stage 250 2nd stage he said he can make me a couple different tunes if i have the money and time he is pretty quick though and he is going to try a pump gas tune for me 13.5:1 and pump gas dont mix with out dfi with it he said run the fuel perfect and pull timing till it is way safe it wont run like it is on race gas but it will get me to the track. Candy if you have any globle calibrations that you could send me email kkcjt911@hotmail.com let me check out just to see different ways of tuning i want to learn more about tau vs map ect % from film i have talk to the boss there and was going to trailer there from florida to mabe learn some more tuning knowlege of the gen 7 i have learnd alot when i first started tuning from steve 1 of the best from accel sending data logs and him adjusting the ve and timing tau and acceleration threshhold he has me real close oh ya i shift at 7200 it revs to like 7800 floats out there cam specs are 24x 24x 6xx 6xx i had to retard it 4 dgrees to get 90 thousands clearance i didnt feel safe runing a street motor any tighter. new cam is on the way. i will be able to run the new one straight up and the piston to valve clearance will be perfect so comp says. keep on tuning, jesse & teresa

Last edited by jessterss383; 07-30-2004 at 12:38 AM.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:36 AM
Pathological Modifier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was the single worst thing I have ever tried to read.

Ryan K.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:49 AM
Teching In

Thanks,
Ryan did you in your tune play with the tau.I was pressed for time at the molment.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:53 AM
Teching In

Candy,
call me if you have a question 7725289257
Old 07-29-2004, 06:25 AM
Staging Lane

Default Gen 7

Originally Posted by Candy
Looking for some LS1 type Gen III setups out there that are using the Accel Gen 7 DFI system and are turning 7500+ rpm. If you are doing this or trying to do this please post some feedback.

Thanks!
Candy,
We have a Gen 7 system on our C5R 427 nitrous car. for the last several mos. we have been fighting an ignition cut-out problem over 7100 rpm.
After going over the system & installation repeatedly we have not been able to correct this problem, and neither has Accel, although the tech dept & the engineers have been trying to help get a hold of this problem.
We have checked the crank reluctor wheel (Lunati) and replaced the crank & cam sensors, re-wired the same with 4 different configurations of shielded wiring with external shielding as well, checked voltage drops & current, every possible variation that we could think off, we also pinned out the entire wiring harness & relocated the ign coils and nothing has helped so far.
At this point Accel has no suggestions to fix this problem, which is frustrating to say the least.
Currently i am converting over to a Fast E-dist ignition system with MSD crank trigger to eliminate the entire Accel ignition control, my guess is that this will cure the problem, i should know within the next week or so.
This race car has not been to the track at all this year, even though the work was completed back in march, because of this problem with the Gen 7 system.
Hind sight tells me i should have gone with Fast, hopefully this hybrid set-up will be the end of it!
Anyone else having a similar high rpm problem (over 7000 rpm) ?
I will repost either way when i have the car running again, if any one needs help or info about this deal, feel free to call me.
Buster-BRracing
Buster's Auto Center
609-888-0300
Old 07-29-2004, 11:28 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

Jesster, feel free to use punctuation.

Buster, I was advised to use truck coils with my FAST, has ACCEL made a similar reccomendation? My car had ignition problems in the 6000 range it would not pull thru the rpms.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Default Gen 7

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Jesster, feel free to use punctuation.

Buster, I was advised to use truck coils with my FAST, has ACCEL many a similar reccomendation? My car had ignition problems in the 6000 range it would not pull thru the rpms.
PSJ,
No, there was no discussion about changing ign. coils, but i will look into it.
What rpm do you run to, and did switching to the truck coils cure your problem completely?
Thanks,
Buster
Old 07-29-2004, 01:56 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

You might try contacting Craig Smith at ACCEL he used to work for FAST. He's going to be familar with both setups.

My car would not pull past 6000 rpms with the car coils.

I swapped over the truck coils on the track coil trays and the car pulls to 7100 no problem. This was back to back attempts for me on the street. I did hit the track and I did spin the motor to 7000 a few times. Most I will ever do is 7200.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:11 PM
Banned

Accel\Craig never had the chance to bring that up with us. We had already tried both versions of the truck coils and made NO difference. You don't wanna know what we have tried to get this setup working properly. It starts to lose or gets an erratic crank signal to the ECU box from the ignition control box above 7200 RPM.

We can do 4 back to back pulls w\o restarting the engine and you will get 1 clean pull to 7800 RPM and the other 3 will just do something different past 7200 RPM. Never had a problem with the stock PCM before this.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

Default Gen 7

Originally Posted by Futral Motorsports
Accel\Craig never had the chance to bring that up with us. We had already tried both versions of the truck coils and made NO difference. You don't wanna know what we have tried to get this setup working properly. It starts to lose or gets an erratic crank signal to the ECU box from the ignition control box above 7200 RPM.

We can do 4 back to back pulls w\o restarting the engine and you will get 1 clean pull to 7800 RPM and the other 3 will just do something different past 7200 RPM. Never had a problem with the stock PCM before this.
Like he said:
I have spoken to Craig at least a dozen times, he has never mentioned anything about using the truck coils to me, although the symtoms don't really match my situation, the engine has to rev to 7800, but it actually turns off momentarily, then comes back, drops out again & again & again,etc.
It does not missfire, it shuts off.
I have data logged this with the Gen 7 & with my Racepak data aquisition system, the tach signal actually disappears when this happens.
Personally i am sick & tired of doing R&D for Accel,
I will figure this out but its going to get a Fast E-dist to fix it.
Thanks for your input, God knows i could use it!
Buster
Old 07-29-2004, 04:07 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Is Allen speaking for Buster as well or are there two cars being referenced here?
Old 07-29-2004, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

Default Gen 7

Is Allen speaking for Buster as well or are there two cars being referenced here?
PSJ,
These are two seperate cars, I know of at least two others with identical problems.
Are there any more out there?
Hopefully my ignition conversion will be the correct fix for this problem,if so anyone is welcome to the info for this disastor!
I'll let you know soon!
Buster
Old 07-29-2004, 04:49 PM
Banned

2 seperate cars,totally different....same problem. We have been working on this for 4 months. The car ran 9.70's with this problem having to short shift at 7K and started acting around the 1000' mark,going through the lights bucking on 138MPH
Old 07-29-2004, 06:55 PM
Teching In

i cant beleive i'm hearing this. i thought it was a tuning problem, that is why i have been asking for tune comparisons from everyone. mine is breaking up above 7100 also. my first thought was a bad coil or two, so i bought the truck coils. it helped some. then i played with the plugs and there gap. i was thinking about replacing the crank sensor. but now hearing this, it seems like the msd crank trigger is the way to go. accel should tell customers about this problem, this is bull. one question i have, is this occuring to everyone? or maybe it is the reluctor wheel on the lunati cranks. are people with stock cranks having the same problem? a question i asked some time ago was about the shielded ground wire on the ignition harness. i asked accel what it was and where it went and they did not know what it was or where it went. they replied to ground it to the back of the head. it was labled sheilded ground for a reason. where did you guys ground that wire? sorry for my speed typing earlier
Old 07-29-2004, 08:03 PM
FormerVendor

Jessterss383.. That is why we are trying to find some people that are successfully using this system past 7100 rpm's. Trust me when I tell you between Allan and Buster they have tried just about everything... We were told that it may be the reluctor wheel on the crank but Buster is using a different crank than we are so I doubt that could be the problem.

Please note this is not a thread to say anything negative about Accel, several of us have just exhausted all of our options and are hoping that maybe with an open discussion we can help anyone that is having problems get them worked out.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:53 PM
9 Second Club

Allan ,Buster as you both know, I been trying to do all I can to push this issue with accel and hopefully they will come up with a solution...when I Beta test this setup before it was released the car ofcourse wasnt a solid roller as such, so this wasnt forseen before hand with rpm's above 7,000.All I had for info was up to 6900 rpm and the experience I had with it on my lt1 reading the factory opti with no issues to what I have personally seen of 8300rpm....However,I do know they are addressing the issue, but thats as much as I know at this point..I know buster and allan are about to wits end on this for I have tried my best to try to help them through it and they have tried about everything ..In fact I think I was the one that got allan to try the different coils thinking it was a dwell problem...I apologize on my end for not having a solution as of yet,I do know its in the triggering of the ignition be it sensor related or in the box itself..and as I said before they are working on it.For I have made them aware of this thread with another phone call today...
Old 07-30-2004, 12:25 AM
Pathological Modifier

I am only pulling my car upto 7000-7200 rpm at this point. I haven't seen the problem, I don't think.

Ryan
Old 07-30-2004, 12:48 AM
9 Second Club

JS never heard of him.. does he have a fix for these guys problems ????
If so great!!!...
Old 07-30-2004, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Candy and all accel users
Are you running sequential or staggard batch? When i run sequential, it breaks up worse. When using staggard batch, its not as bad. I was wondering if the labels on the injector harness are correct? Also when reloading new global cal, the last box in the timing matrix will change itself to 0.00 Has anyone experiened this glitch? thanks for letting us know about this problem.

Quick Reply: Accel Gen 7 Users Inside!