PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange problem, need help pinpointing it (long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 06:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange problem, need help pinpointing it (long)

A little background on my car first. Its a 2001 Camaro Z28, 6speed, full boltons with a B1 cam. Ive had it tuned with LS1Edit, but for some reason the SES light stays on MOST of the time (sometimes it'll stay off for a day or two, then come back on).

A couple months ago, in May, my car started having problems with the temp guage. When I was sitting in traffic for a long time, the needle would go down to 0, stay there for a few minutes, then jump up to around 230-240, stay there for a few minutes, and then go back down to 0 where it would stay indefinetly. During this time, the engine would be misfiring bad. Anything over 1/4 throttle and the shifter would shake violently. I could also hear a difference in the exhaust note. On the way home from Ocean City, the problem once again happened, but the SES light started flashing. A couple people told me that I might have hot air bubbles trapped in my coolant lines, so I bled all the air out and filled it up to the top. The problems seemed to stop for a while...until a couple weeks ago at the track.

I did my burnout, everything seemed ok. But as soon as I launched, it felt and sounded like 1 (or more) cylinders were misfiring. I let out of it, and halfway down the track the SES light started flashing repeatedly, like it did on the way home from Ocean City. My buddy disconnected the battery, I pulled the PCM fuses, and we let it sit about an hour. Then we put everything back on and the problem went away. I made 1 pass with the SES off (fresh reset PCM, had to relearn things) which resulted in a 12.7@112. Then it came back on (which is normal because its always been on for some reason). I made another pass with it on, and I went 12.7@115.

The problem didnt arise again until today while driving through town, I was at a stoplight. It turned green, so I drove off...but right when I started to go, I could audibly hear the exhaust note change and the engine became REALLY rough. If I gave it anything over 1/4 throttle the shifter and car would shake violently. Then the SES light started flashing at me, just like it did when I was driving home from Ocean City back in May. As soon as I came to a complete stop, with the car idling, the blinking SES light would go back to its normal always-on self. But as soon as I started to go again, it would start blinking. Any ideas? Ive about had it with this car and I hate to get so frustrated over something as simple as a misfire.

Im so lost here, any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume you do not have logging software or you would know what the codes are. What I would do is take your car when the light is on to an AutoZone and have them read the code. After you have the code let everyone know what the code or codes were. Once you know the codes you can then have some idea what the problem is. Sorry this did not help much.

Bill
Old 07-28-2004, 09:06 PM
11 Second Club

well I might do that, but I'm really reluctant to drive the car if my SES is constantly flashing at me...wont that hurt something?
Old 07-29-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHotZ28
well I might do that, but I'm really reluctant to drive the car if my SES is constantly flashing at me...wont that hurt something?
Without knowing what the problem is it is hard to tell. You can also buy a code reader from Advance Auto or if you have a Harbor Freight around they sell them on sale for $20.

Good luck.

Bill
Old 07-29-2004, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

Ok I talked to the local mechanic/tuner from Fbody Central, he says it sounds like Im having a dead cylinder, so Im pulling the plugs and wires tomorrow to see if theres anything strange going on, maybe a fouled plug...Im hoping its something simple.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Whatever you do don't take your car there to have it fixed. You'll regret it. As far as what the problem is...thats the darndest thing I have ever heard. The problem I have with the entire thing is that a dead cylinder is not going to make your temp gauge jump. After you are done checking your cylinders I would start looking for burnt/shorted wiring, bad grounds, or a bad PCM.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Another_User
Whatever you do don't take your car there to have it fixed. You'll regret it. As far as what the problem is...thats the darndest thing I have ever heard. The problem I have with the entire thing is that a dead cylinder is not going to make your temp gauge jump. After you are done checking your cylinders I would start looking for burnt/shorted wiring, bad grounds, or a bad PCM.
well the temp guage is working correctly ever since I flushed all the air bubbles out of the coolant lines. Whats wrong with FBC? its the only place around here that works on strictly 4th Gens...they can be a bit pricey at times, but Ive only needed to take my car there once for a tranny rebuild and lowering springs put on