Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the proper way to delete O2, EGR ect

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 10:16 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Question What is the proper way to delete O2, EGR ect

I just recently had my first OBD-II test and my bro-in-law did a test run first since he knew everything that had been done to my car (h/c, headers, offroad ypipe, no cats or rear O2s, no egr, and no air pump). I had four tests that came back as 'not ready' so he said I would not pass.

The four were:
1. Secondairy air pump
2. O2 heaters
3. EGR
4. O2 something or another.

Now, I had the car programmed about two years ago and I'm not quite sure what exactly was done, but I'm calling the guy tomorrow. My bro-in-law said I would have to rehook up at least two of those items and reprogram my pcm to check for those tests if I want to pass. I have heard there is a way around this with programming and was wondering if that is correct. What is the proper way to pass an OBD-II test if you don't have rear O2s, EGR, or an Air pump????

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you don't want to post here for whatever reason, please PM me or send me an email.

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i have most of the codes disabled and evap is the only "slow" code.

any time you program, or clear a SES light you reset all the tests but they should come back quite rapidly.

evap is the one that takes FOREVER.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:36 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Well, the problem is that I haven't touched the programming in over a year and a half, so its not that I didn't have enough driving time, but rather how the code was changed. Back when I had it programmed, all people were doing was just making sure that the code wouldn't be tripped, but I guess the computer is still searching for the components that I had 'deleted', hence what is causing me to fail.

What do I need to do to get the OBD-II tester to see a "ready" for rear O2, egr ect when I don't have them?
Old 08-07-2004, 06:22 AM
TECH Addict

My EGR, Rear O2s, and AIR system codes are all x=off. All those tests show "completed." What software/scanner was your bro-in-law using to test? And did you see the results, or is it just his word? Something doesn't seem right.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:26 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

It was at a Mitsu dealership and was the actual inspection tester. I actually saw him hook it up and get the 'not ready' codes on all four tests. He did a check readiness first before actually running the car so as not to throw up any flags.

I think the problem is in my programming which I am going to address today. Instead on those tests being set to x=off, I think they were set to the other setting which leaves them on but just doesn't throw a code.

I did a Autotap the night before, making sure I didn't 'clear' any codes, but i'm not sure what's up.

I should know more this afternoon.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

I know with my car, x=off shows "complete" and passes.

Definitely change them to x=off and try again.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:17 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

That is what I will try. I will double check my programming today and make sure everything is correct and go from there.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Good luck man!

I'd be interested in hearing what happened.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

yah good luck man theres a buttload of codes

btw if they are off they won't store codes when you read them (autozone.com free). If they are on and don't illuminate the SES (iirc) they will store them and you will fail and autozone can print them off.

I dont think there's any in between man.

Almost sounds like the dude at the mitsu place, may have found a code, wiped it, and in doing so, wiped your readiness bits.

That would be my logical guess. It can take a bit of driving to have them reset. Every time you reflash the ecm you will reset all the readiness bits too, so you need something like efilive/autotap and drive around and watch them set. The primary tests dont take maybe 5-15 minutes to cycles to ready, only the evap is a **** on my 2000 but i think the law over here is 2000 and less,2 not ready, 2001-2002, 1 not ready allowed. If you think about it, how else would these dumbasses drive into the smog place with CEL and fail, get it fixed (resetting CEL) and drive back over and pass. Most consumers don't understand the drive cycle to get all obd2 readiness bits set and its not a very common drive cycle (specially for city slickers like me).
Old 08-08-2004, 09:04 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Okay... an update of what I have found...

First off, I haven't gotten in touch with the guy who flashed my pcm yet, so I don't have any answers to the questions I still have.

This morning I took matters in my own hands and autotapped my car to see what I could find out.

Well, the PCM was reset 238 miles ago, which means that when my bro-in-law checked my car, it had about 60 miles of varried driving on it with 4 or 5 cold starts, which should have been enough to get most of the readiness bits set.

As I said, as of this morning, that car has 238 miles on it since the pcm was reset, but I went into the diagnostic menu of a-tap and selected everything and found what maybe helpful info.

The following tests returned "INCOMPLETE" results:
EGR sys test
O2 heater test
Secondary Air sys test
Evap system test

These are the same four that showed up when I had the car at my b-i-l's shop.
Something must not be right with my programming or is this normal for autotap to see these tests this way?

Can someone with experience with passing an OBD-II test with autotap tell me if you get the same incomplete status for these tests?

Thanks guys.
I'm tempted to just take the plunge and buy my own version of ls1edit or HPtuner.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

It sounds as if the a-tap results are correct because they match the results of your brother-in-law. Corroborating evidence.

I've found that most of the tests complete very quickly (assuming x=off), and only one , evap I think, takes quite a few miles and driving cycles, so you've driven plenty of miles for most, if not all, the tests to complete.

It seems that it comes down to either having someone set the codes x=off for you, or you acquiring and editor and doing it yourself.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:20 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Well, as you said it, I either have to buy Edit or find someone who can make the changes.

Anyone have a 2000 HP tuner and want to make a quick $50?
Old 08-08-2004, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like the codes are set to just not turn the light on, but are still able to be read from a scanner.. Like it was said you need them to be completely off.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like a similar problem I am having, I get catalyst and 2ndary air system not ready. I am getting some 02 simms and getting them to turn the rear 02 back on through edit or I may get hp tuner and do it myself, good luck and let us know how it goes
Old 08-15-2004, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Well, as you said it, I either have to buy Edit or find someone who can make the changes.

Anyone have a 2000 HP tuner and want to make a quick $50?
I have a 96 Z28 which i rarely drive. on a recent nice day, i took it out and noticed that my inspection sticker was expired. I went to my usual guy in NJ, and i failed for the same reasons you did. I contacted my programmer and he said to ship back the PCM with the inspection report and he would fix it and send it back. This blows. I asked him about the "drive cycle" which is a nightmare by the way. He said that going through the drive cycle probably wouldn't work. If you have ever seen the GM OBDII drive cycle, you would laugh. Who can do that kind of driving unless you live off of the Autobahn. Anyway, i will post what happens when i get my PCM back and go for reinspection. New Jersey allows one failure out of four, so i am having the EGR kept "Off." Other than that, the O2 sensor, catalyst, etc. all have to be fixed, or made "ready" whatever that is.