PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette software into F-body PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Corvette software into F-body PCM?

Hello, checked search and came up empty handed, so here is the odd-ball question of the week...

A. Has anyone tried a Corvette PCM software calibration in an F-Body PCM (Same Year)? Any side effects? Odd drivability issues?

B. Any noticeable HP/TQ gains (either dyno#'s or seat of pants)?

In my research I do not see any major issues. I know that the 02 Corvette and F-Body uses the same PCM Part# and that the Corvette has Electronic Throttle Control where the F-Body does not. This is where you LS1 experts come into play!

Also, if wiring pin position changes are necessary, I am more than capable to make those changes -- I've recently had the opportunity to assist a local shop swapping a Duramax into a Hummer H2 with thier wiring and PCM issues. (That was a two month long headache but well worth it)

I just need to know IF it has been done, WHAT majors issues need to be overcome, and IF it is worth the time and effort?

ANY information, ANY help, ANY questions GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Old 08-09-2004, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NO-OPTION-2002
Hello, checked search and came up empty handed, so here is the odd-ball question of the week...

A. Has anyone tried a Corvette PCM software calibration in an F-Body PCM (Same Year)? Any side effects? Odd drivability issues?

B. Any noticeable HP/TQ gains (either dyno#'s or seat of pants)?

In my research I do not see any major issues. I know that the 02 Corvette and F-Body uses the same PCM Part# and that the Corvette has Electronic Throttle Control where the F-Body does not. This is where you LS1 experts come into play!

Also, if wiring pin position changes are necessary, I am more than capable to make those changes -- I've recently had the opportunity to assist a local shop swapping a Duramax into a Hummer H2 with thier wiring and PCM issues. (That was a two month long headache but well worth it)

I just need to know IF it has been done, WHAT majors issues need to be overcome, and IF it is worth the time and effort?

ANY information, ANY help, ANY questions GREATLY APPRECIATED!
I do not see any gains as far as HP is concerned. You can edit the same data for both PCM's. The Camaro environment has less chatter on the bus than the corvette does as it has many more modules to interface with. It definitely would only make matter more complicated for nothing if you had the choice to pick between the two.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the response, Monodax.

If the F-Body PCM (with Corvette Calibration) were installed in a 2002 Z28 it would only be as busy on the bus as the Camaro needed it to be? Or am I missing something.

In the GM Service Infomation it shows that the Class 2 Serial Data on the F-Body communicates amongst the PCM, Cluster (IPC), ABS Module (EBCM), and Inflatable Restraint module (SDM).

As long as the VIN # (which would still be stored in the Z28 operating system) remained the same VIN then these 4 modules will still speak to one another.

So then, here is the stupid question..

What accounts for the 40 HP difference between 2002 Z28 and 2002 Corvette? (310HP/340TQ vs 350HP/360TQ A4)

They both have the same intakes, heads, cams, CR, RPM limits, etc. Is the F-Body exhaust THAT much more restrictive? Or are GM's #'s off? If so, is the F-Body underrated or is the Corvette overrated?

I was under the impression that the HP difference was in the "calibration" but looks like I was mistaken.

Thanks again!!!
Old 08-10-2004, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 165 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by NO-OPTION-2002
What accounts for the 40 HP difference between 2002 Z28 and 2002 Corvette? (310HP/340TQ vs 350HP/360TQ A4)
Do you think that GM is going to advertise a $25,000 car as having the same power as a $40,000 car?

LS1 F-Body and LS1 Vettes have just about the same amount of power. The vette might have a little more due to better exhaust but that's about it.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FCar2000TA
Do you think that GM is going to advertise a $25,000 car as having the same power as a $40,000 car?
Well, I would never put anything past GM. I just can't see the Corvette NOT having the extra 40HP they advertise. Guess i'll just have to race one and see!!!

Anyone out there with stock A4 dynos for Corvettes and F-Bodys? Maybe I can finally put my wonderings to rest?

Thanks again guys -- you all are great!!!!!!!

Last edited by NO-OPTION-2002; 06-11-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The rwhp and rwtq figures will be just about the same for a C5 vs. an LS1 F-body. A well driven Vette that is comparable mod and gearing wise should be a couple tenths faster due to the weight diffference. That's honestly about it in a straight line.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you sir, that was what I needed to know.

I guess I wont be to worried about the calibrations then.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:57 PM
Teching In

does anyone know what else is different between the c5 and f-body besides weight?
Old 08-11-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

the vette has an independent rear suspension which eats up some of its horsepower. Vettes have better suspension, and better aerodynamics. Stock for stock, the fbody actually dynos higher a lot of the time.

Quick Reply: Corvette software into F-body PCM?