Sponsored by:

eeprom flashing.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default eeprom flashing.

Hi
last year I was working for gm and I noticed that I was flashing quite a few ecms as a trouble shooting or first thing to do, when I cam to realize well what are the small shops going to do when they have to flash for trouble shooting. Is there anything available to the small shops now for flashing, websites etc. I cant see these guys towing the cars to gm to have a flash and then tow them back. Also is the tech2 the only way to a diagnostic flash or is there something else on the market along with websites etc.?
thanks for any info
Old 08-12-2004, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

were u flashing the individual Intel flash chips? or reflashing with the flash chip enclosed in the PCM?

HP Tuners (www.hptuners.com) offers software that will allow you to reflash the PCM (Provided it's not locked or corrupted) .. their Pro Tuner version lets you do full PCM rewrites, normal version lets you rewrite the calibration tables ... all through an ODB II interface (and for a hella cheaper than a Tech II heh)
Old 08-12-2004, 11:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

sorry I was flashing the ecm itsself with the tech 2. the new prom info was downloaded from gm headquarters and then flashed to the ecm. I take it that hp tunners is for rewriting your own tables?
Old 08-12-2004, 11:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jester1
sorry I was flashing the ecm itsself with the tech 2. the new prom info was downloaded from gm headquarters and then flashed to the ecm. I take it that hp tunners is for rewriting your own tables?
It can rewrite the entire PCM (Pro Tuner version) .. I just had my PCM (2000 OS) rewritten to a 2002 OS ... or for the regular version it just rewrites the calibration tables (good thing for tuners... no chance of destroying the PCM)

HP Tuners doesn't encrypt the PCM reads ... so I would assume so long as you have a valid binary file it would write it