PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chicken or the Egg ?? Bad 02 or rich condition ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Chicken or the Egg ?? Bad 02 or rich condition ??

ARG !!

I was cruising and got an ses light. my car started shuttering and lightly backfiring / missfiring. I nursed it home and pulled the valve covers, no broken springs. I pulled the plugs and the four drivers side ones were pitch black like nothing I have ever seen. Pass side looked fine . .. if anything a little lean.

We cleaned them up and checked the car over for any vacuum leaks. . . .cant find any. Hooked the computer up and went for a drive , drivers side 02 sensor is pegged flat lean and not moving exept small speratic blips up to 350 mvs every once and a while. LTFT's on the drivers side are +25 and pass side +3 - +4.

Do you think it was the bad o2 that was causing the bank to run rich ?? Is there any vacuum lines on the drivers side ?? I dont want to replace the 02 and have it take a crap again.

A little while before this both banks were +25 lean and the car was getting like 6mpg. Turned out the manifold bolts had backed off a bit , I re torqued them and the LTFT's started to come right back down after some driving to about -1.5 - +6 on both banks. Drivers side was usually about 2 points leaner all the time too . . . .now its fucked again.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to know if it's a bad o2, compare the voltage readings to the rear ones. Either that or switch it left to right and see if your ltft's switch too.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

good idea . . . .how do I scan the rear o2's ??
Old 08-23-2004, 02:07 AM
FormerVendor

if the fronts are o2b1s1 then the rear is pid o2b1s2