Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AutoTap set up question

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AutoTap set up question

I am hooking up AutoTap for the first time and I can't get the laptop to recognize that AutoTap is set up on a COM port. How do you assign a COM port in XP?

Thanks, I am clueless on this one!
Old 08-23-2004, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Unstang
I am hooking up AutoTap for the first time and I can't get the laptop to recognize that AutoTap is set up on a COM port. How do you assign a COM port in XP?

Thanks, I am clueless on this one!

Are you running it through a USB -> Serial adapter? If so check in your Control Panel ->System ->Hardware->Devices -> Ports tab. and ensure that it is showing a com port that is pretty low like 1-4. I have seen problems if it assigns one very high like 6 or 7. Also if you are not using a USB -> Serial adapter ensure that you have your serial port enabled by checking on the Control Panel ->System ->Hardware->Devices -> Ports tab. This will show you what port you have available. If none is available check and ensure it is enabled in your system bios. If all of that is ok ensure that your fuse to your cigarette lighter is not blown as your OBDII port needs power to power your Autotap dongle.