PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hey guys, just threw my first SES light at 41k, questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hey guys, just threw my first SES light at 41k, bad cat?

i bought the car at 34,500 miles, so its been trouble free for 8k, I went road racing yesterday. My mileage has dropped off since i moved to montreal, since last month. Well im driving today and the damn light came on and i have to get the car inspected. Im hoping to get someone to scan it tommorow, heres the question. Im thinking its a cat, the reason being, my city mileage at best was never more than 15-16mpg and thats not getting on it and it would have rotten egg smell, Then my mileage just plumeted down to 10mpg!!! So could it be a bad cat? theres no driveability except the mileage utterly sucks! im at 130 miles on 12 gallons, and about 30 of that is highway!! and gas up here in Canada ISNT CHEAP, 96 cents a liter, 4.5 liters up here makes a US gallon so do the math.

When i got the car i changed out the plugs, wires, front o2 sensors, changed all the fluids. Now assuming its not the o2 sensors, what code could it be that fails at an early mileage, 42k miles? My air pump seems to be more audible when its on that it used to be, its a louder whistle now, but it does go away when the car is fully warmed up, is there an sensor or something? Im just looking for other common SES lights besides o2, it better not be them or ill be pretty damn mad!, if it is, i hope its the rear ones cause i have o2 sims.

Mike
2000 z28 m6

Last edited by 92SilverSHO; 08-29-2004 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-28-2004, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no way to tell... go to an autozone or some place like that and have them scan the car... no sense guessing which of the hundred or two codes it could be...
Old 08-29-2004, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

update, this light stays on constantly from startup to shut down, doesnt blink or whatever, what does that mean, because i see other peoples blink or what not? i guess something is really wrong for it to be on all the time, but im only getting 10mpg, so im hoping its the cats, so its under warranty
Old 08-29-2004, 02:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it's on all the time then it's a hard fault... code was set and it's a continuing problem... blinking generally indicates a misfire...

If your gas mileage is that bad then I'm guessing it's a front O2 sensor... putting you into open loop all the time... only way to tell though is to get it scanned...
Old 08-29-2004, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah but i just changed them out about 4k miles ago!!!
Old 08-29-2004, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

my buddy is coming over tonight with autotap, efi live, so hopefully we can figure this out!
Old 08-29-2004, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok its p0430, cat low bank 2.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey buddy... I think your mileage is improving, because I think that the time lapping last friday gutted the cat that was probably restricting flow.
Anyways, remember that even though 130 miles on 12 gallons and 30miles we're highway, the rest was pretty much lapping miles... which is amazing, considering you were getting worse mileage on the city than you were now while lapping
Was justing looking @ the logs, and everything seems good... the cat is gone, but you should be getting better mileage... I could bet on it.