Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC lockup with tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC lockup with tuning?

I installed my LS6 cam a few weeks ago and have jsut recently sent off for my tune. I am feeling this ... almost a surge feeling as I go down the road with the cruise set or upon gentle acceleration. Is this an issue that can be fixed with tuning?

Also, I head people talk about keeping the TC locked for certain gears under acceleration and things like that can be controlled by the tune settings. I mailed off my tune and didn't know to ask for it. What should I asked for? What do I want the TC to be doing on acceleration and in cruise for maximum performance, but not to the point that it could damage anything.

Thanks for the info!

-Derek
Old 08-31-2004, 03:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the surge your talking about is the engine misfiring at low rpm's. When the converter is locked you will feel it bucking, I don't think this can be tuned out. Please let me know if it can cause I have the lockup raised to 43mph just to try and get less bucking.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was getting some surge between 30-40 mph after I programmed for the gears. The TCC lockup points were moved down at the same rate as the shift points... I reset the tcc table back to stock. Now it locks at 46 mph, it's a lot better. Test it by pulling it into 3rd and see if it smooths out.

From what I understand, the lockup clutch is not designed for high torque, only for cruising. You will definitely want the converter unlocked in 1st gear to get the advantage of torque multiplication on takeoff. Stock, second is always unlocked too.