PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aha...I figured out why I am in cell 22.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aha...I figured out why I am in cell 22.

Well, it is because the Purge is off. I did some logging, and I went into 22 every time it turned off (like it should). So the question is, since people don't normally see this; should it turn off while I am driving? Is this a sign that something is failing and I should replace it?
Old 08-31-2004, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey. Could you explain what you mean when you say the purge is off? i'm still trying to learn all i can! thanks
Old 08-31-2004, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by luv2spd
Hey. Could you explain what you mean when you say the purge is off? i'm still trying to learn all i can! thanks
The purge is actually the EVAP system. It keeps fuel from venting into the atmosphere, or something like that. It filters it through a charcoal canister. Unfortunately mine is just doing whatever it wants.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Anybody know if this is normal for the EVAP system? It doesn't sound like it from what you guys have said. It seems like if t here is a malfunction it is inside the 10 second window, so it won't throw an EVAP code...TTT.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From page 167 of "Corvette Fuel Injection"

Normally the purge valve is opened only under all of these conditions:

Delayed after engine start, 150 seconds when cold (below 120 F); 45 seconds when warm

TPS greater than 3 degrees, off idle
VSS greater than 10 mph
It also only operates when the fuel level is between 15 and 85 percent.

The evap is actually used to check if the fuel tank is sealed right. It opens the purge valve and closes the vent to the fuel tank, which creates a vacuum in the fuel tank. Then it closes the purge valve and checks how fast the pressure in the fuel tank goes up. Too fast and it knows the fuel tank isn't sealed right. I have no idea if this info is useful to you or not.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by P Mack

The evap is actually used to check if the fuel tank is sealed right. It opens the purge valve and closes the vent to the fuel tank, which creates a vacuum in the fuel tank. Then it closes the purge valve and checks how fast the pressure in the fuel tank goes up. Too fast and it knows the fuel tank isn't sealed right. I have no idea if this info is useful to you or not.
Here's the info on this page

http://www.efilive.com/forum/viewtop...t=474&start=30

and/or the entire thread
Old 09-02-2004, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by P Mack

Ok. So why does mine turn off while I am cruising? Old gas cap? Oh well...thanks for the help guys.