Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

check engine code P0430

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine code P0430

I went to Auto Zone to get my computer scanned to find out what was up with my service engine light. "P0430 Catalyst System Low Efficiency Bank 2" That is pretty vague to me. What would be the most likely cause of this code, i'm thinking o2 sensor, but maybe i'm wrong?
Old 09-03-2004, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJSLude99
I went to Auto Zone to get my computer scanned to find out what was up with my service engine light. "P0430 Catalyst System Low Efficiency Bank 2" That is pretty vague to me. What would be the most likely cause of this code, i'm thinking o2 sensor, but maybe i'm wrong?

well.. it means that your passenger side catalyst isn't doing it's job... if the O2 sensor was to blame you'd be setting codes for the O2 sensor misbehaving (most likely)

Simple test is to swap the rear O2 sensors and see if the code follows the O2 ... if it does, then it's the O2 sensor, if not your cat is fugged
Old 09-04-2004, 02:33 AM
TECH Resident

That just sucks. My car is running so damn slow now too. I only pulled a few short feet on a 94 LT1 with the same mods (he had a passenger and I didn't). I just put my new catted y on with my long tubes about 300 miles ago. Can it really be that this cat is cashed? I just want to get it back to how it was running. Could this improperly running cat be the result of an exhaust leak?
Old 09-27-2004, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

i had the same problem. your long tubes, cats and y-pipe set up wouldn't happen to be SLP would they? 'cause about 300 miles after i had mine installed, the same exact code was thrown in my PCM! and it was an SLP kit that i bought. lemme know, 'cause i wanna know if there is some kind of screw up on the SLP system that would cause this.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

I'm running Kooks and GMMG, but i'm sure it's the exact same issue.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:44 PM
Teching In

I have the same code. What did you do to address your problem?

Originally Posted by MJSLude99
Old 10-27-2004, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by silverbulletZ28
I have the same code. What did you do to address your problem?
Well you have some pretty good timing on your part, a few nights ago my check engine came on and sure enough it was the same code again. The car is still easily driveable, but noticeably slower which is what is bugging me the most. Is your car any slower?

I unhooked the battery and then disconnected and reconnected all the o2 sensors and connections under the car. That took care of the problem the first time. This most recent time I did the same thing again, but the light stayed on. My passenger side o2 extension was slightly melted by the header, but not enough for the metal in the wires to show through. I'm thinking that might be the problem so i'm going to replace that extension. Let me know what you figure out.

Quick Reply: check engine code P0430