PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I pass Virginia emissions (sniffer) test?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will I pass Virginia emissions (sniffer) test?

I just moved from Hawaii. Will my setup (see sig) pass the sniffer emissions test in Virginia?

220 Cam, Stage 2 Racing Heads, Long Tube Headers w/ High Flow Cats....

Anyone else in Virginia running a similar setup that had to go through the sniffer (vs. OBD-II plug-in) test?

Does it all come down to the tune, or do I need to re-install some stock components?

Thanks in advance! Mike
Old 09-04-2004, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Here araound Richmond we just have a visual inspection. I"m not sure about that area.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

I live in Fairfax. Can I get my state emissions inspection in another county where they only have a visual inspection or OBD-II plug-in test??

Originally Posted by 86MonteSSLS-1
Here araound Richmond we just have a visual inspection. I"m not sure about that area.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

if you find a coutny that only does the OBDII...as long as your SES light isnt on youll pass
Old 09-05-2004, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i havent heard of anywhere in va needing sniffer... and welcome!
Old 09-05-2004, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help guys! Its good to be back home. Yeah - Fairfax County will requires the sniffer - hopefully this is the last year according to one garage, however, the outlying counties - further west and south no longer have this "ancient" requirement. I think Winchester is ODB-II check only.

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
i havent heard of anywhere in va needing sniffer... and welcome!
Old 09-16-2004, 07:23 AM
Teching In

Mike,

Have you gotten emissions tested yet? Just wondering since I live in Alex and need to register my car in VA (moved from MD). I have a 2000 WS6 with LTs (w/ catted y-pipe), airlid, loudmouth, and 160 stat... not a whole lot of mods, but enough that I'm a little worried about going in for inspection. Did you have any problems with yours? And can you recommend a good inspection shop in the area? Thanks a lot...
Doug
Old 09-16-2004, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
Thanks for the help guys! Its good to be back home. Yeah - Fairfax County will requires the sniffer - hopefully this is the last year according to one garage, however, the outlying counties - further west and south no longer have this "ancient" requirement. I think Winchester is ODB-II check only.
so if I went down 2 Winchester, they just scan the car to see if everything is ok and thats it? I live in Fairfax as well with no cats, no egr, longtubes, trex cam, top off with my 408 stroker, i dont have a chance! lol

hell I tried to get the state (safety) inspection done but the inspector would not even pull into station! All he did was look under the car and asked where are my cats? I said all I need is safty inspection, NOT EMMISIONS. Then the inspector holds up 1 finger and says "thats strike one", Im like wtf is he talking about?, so I get back in my car and drive away before he could even place a rejection sticker on. I hate northern VA!
Old 09-17-2004, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

Unfortunately, you must get your car inspected within the county you reside, which means we must comply with the Fairfax County dyno/sniffer emissions test. My vette didn't pass emissions the first time due to a poor tune (very rich and timing was way off..), so I had East Coast Supercharging (ECS) in New Jersey (a C5/Z06 performance shop) re-dynotune my car. Hopefully, it will pass this afternoon.

Originally Posted by chrdij
so if I went down 2 Winchester, they just scan the car to see if everything is ok and thats it? I live in Fairfax as well with no cats, no egr, longtubes, trex cam, top off with my 408 stroker, i dont have a chance! lol

hell I tried to get the state (safety) inspection done but the inspector would not even pull into station! All he did was look under the car and asked where are my cats? I said all I need is safty inspection, NOT EMMISIONS. Then the inspector holds up 1 finger and says "thats strike one", Im like wtf is he talking about?, so I get back in my car and drive away before he could even place a rejection sticker on. I hate northern VA!

Quick Reply: Will I pass Virginia emissions (sniffer) test?