PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on VMC "learning" your driving habbits.

Old 09-13-2004, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question on VMC "learning" your driving habbits.

In the past, I've heard people on other sites say that the computers in todays GM's adapt shift points and firmness to your driving style. I heard this around '01-'02. I wasn't into modding these things yet, and said, "Okay."

I ran across a thread on another site this weekend, where people have conjured up this method to 'trick' the computer into an agressive driving mode. It's basically, find a deserted road, stop, shut of motor. Start it, and immediately floor it to 60mph. Stop quickly, shut off motor, and repeat two more times.

People talk of much more snap in the throttle responce and harder shifts.

They say that if you don't always drive agressively, it will 'slip' back into the stock 'granny shifting' mode.

I can't think of **ANY** good reason why this would work. I started to explain things like shift points and shift firmness are a hard-coded thing, and won't change "on the fly".

The only thing I could come up with is that they're influencing the LTFT's a bit, which might explain the throttle responce.

Does anyone have any insight on this?
Old 09-13-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bet its all in their heads, but i very well could be wrong!
Old 09-13-2004, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nothing in the PCM that I can see that lets it learn ... however... driving like that will warm the tranny up a bit and put you into the "hot" trans tables... so they may be feeling that...
Old 09-13-2004, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys. I may try this myself... but don't really feel like abusing the truck like that. Maybe I'll find one of them that's local who's willing to be scanned to see what's exactly going on.

Search this Thread