Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustanger helping an LS1 owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mustanger helping an LS1 owner

A friend of mine loves to drag race her 02 LS1 Catfish .....errr....I mean Camaro and she's having a few problems with her launch and getting down the track. I'm working with her on her launches to get over her bad bog, but I want to log her runs to see the "big picture" of her trip down the strip.
I have an AutoTap that I used on my MACH1(since stepped up to the SCT Raptor for MUCH faster cycles) and I have the FORD CD, but I need to see if anyone in the Dallas/FtWorth MetroMess could burn her a copy or email me the files or image of the CHEVY CD?
My email addy is mach1marauder@yahoo.com

Thanks for any help!
Old 10-01-2004, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure the cable itself is what controls what platforms it will work on... not the software ... the software can be downloaded from www.autotap.com but the hardware is what needs to support a GM car or Ford car

Only thing you can do is send it in to B&B Electronics and pay to upgrade to a 123 unit or buy a GM unit
Old 10-01-2004, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by horist
I'm pretty sure the cable itself is what controls what platforms it will work on... not the software ... the software can be downloaded from www.autotap.com but the hardware is what needs to support a GM car or Ford car

Only thing you can do is send it in to B&B Electronics and pay to upgrade to a 123 unit or buy a GM unit
I'm sure the hardware is the same. They both plug up to the OBDII port. I think the software that's on the website is a barebones with limited parameters. I may have to resort to that if I can't find someone to help her with the full version.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

eh... I ran the software on the website w/my autotap and had the GM enhanced parameters and all... sold cable to a buddy w/a Grand Prix and he's using hte software off the website w/the enhanced parameters... the OBDII plugin is mandaded by the feds to be the same plug for all cars, but Ford uses a different Protocol than GM does (J1850 PWM/Ford vs J1850 VPW/GM ... 05 GM vehicles use a CAN system) and I believe it's the chip in the cable that actually does the conversions (you need to convert from whatever protocol is on the BUS to a serial output for the computer to read)

However... if you want you can try the software that came w/my autotap cable (depends how old your cable is.. if it's a version 1.0 slower cable this software will work fine... if it's a 2.0 cable then it won't work)

http://www.transamws6.net/DOS205.zip Autotap for DOS version 2.05, direct from the CD that came w/my autotap back in the day
Old 10-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info!
But inlight of what you said about the protocall differances, it may be a wasted effort!
I've got the newest USB version.
Thanks for the help! :thumbs up:
Old 10-01-2004, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder
Thanks for the info!
But inlight of what you said about the protocall differances, it may be a wasted effort!
I've got the newest USB version.
Thanks for the help! :thumbs up:
ah ok, you may be right there then... I don't know how new cables work ... I know the 2.0 software needs a serial number in order to work , so you may be right ... one more TTT if anyone can help him out
Old 10-01-2004, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Unfortunately it probaly won't work on the GM stuff, Just like your SCT Raptor won't work on the GM vehicles due to the protocol difference. I wish it would, as it blows autotap/EFI live out of the water when it comes to the speed it will work on the DMR ford paramaters. Between the speed, and 4 analog inputs that tool has, it almost makes me want to throw a ford eec in my car.

Ryan