Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with predator tune stuff after headers:

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with predator tune stuff after headers:

I just got headers and my exhaust sounds really funny. I think I need to adjust my fuel.

Intake / Exhaust mods:

FRA Mod, MTI Clear Lid, Smooth Bellows, Hooker Ceramic coated longtubes, ORY, DMH Electric cutout.

Can someone recommend the numbers to set the fuel and spark settings to? I have no idea what I am doing...

Thanks!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 07:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

ttttyttt
Old 10-05-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, generally, longtubes make the car rich at wot. You need to make sure that your fuel trims are negative so that they lock at 0 at wot. When they are plus, the computer assumes you'd be lean so it would add fuel when you go wot. Once you get those negative, you can adjust the pe to get your 02's to read around 900 at wot. That should get you close. With spark, you can try to adjust it after the fuel changes are done and raise it a little bit, but make sure you don't get any kr. If you get kr, back off some of the spark.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by luv2spd
Well, generally, longtubes make the car rich at wot. You need to make sure that your fuel trims are negative so that they lock at 0 at wot. When they are plus, the computer assumes you'd be lean so it would add fuel when you go wot. Once you get those negative, you can adjust the pe to get your 02's to read around 900 at wot. That should get you close. With spark, you can try to adjust it after the fuel changes are done and raise it a little bit, but make sure you don't get any kr. If you get kr, back off some of the spark.
As he siad, they generally make the car richer (because they scavange the cylinders better than stock mainfolds & flow better). So drive around & see what your Ltrims are at cruise, and at idle. Again as he said, your goal is 0 to slightly negative. If they are more than around neg 3, then you are TOO rich. Which might make your exhaust sounds like it's 'under water', kind of a babbling & popping sound.

Although since you did delete your cats, your exhaust IS going to sound very different from stock. Usually that gives you a harsh, cackling, what some people call raspy sound. And you almost always get some occasional mild backfires without cats.

How does the exhaust sound? Describe it for us. And how does it smell? Are you throwing any codes? Have a blinking SES light? Anything else?

Also, where did you buy the Predator? You can get James @ RWTD to write a custom tune for you, free if you bought it from him, $100 if someplace else.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

The car is throwing 3 codes, I dont have them in front of me right now...

Two of them have to do with the intake or something (new since headers) and the other one is EGR...

The car sounds like it is under water. I dont know what Ltrims or whatever is or how to see that...

Diablosport is going to do a custom tune for me because my speedo isnt working right even after setting up all of the options. However my laptop isnt working right with it for some reason so I am on stand still...

How do I find out if the car is running rich? it smells like **** and sounds like there is water in the exhaust. I dont know what knock retard sounds like but I hear some really strange noises sometimes.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, i've never used a predator before, but the ltft are what tells you how well the car is tuned. If they are + then the computer is adjusting for a lean condition. If they are - then it's correcting a rich condition. Look in the instructions that came with it and log those and then tell us what you find. Also the specific codes that came up would help also.