Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my 2001 camaro won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 2001 camaro won't start

i recently posted my problem in the new ls1 owners and enthusiast section of ls1tech. i was wondering if i might find some other answers here. with no warning signs whatsoever, my 2001 camaro ss won't start. I put the key in the ignition turn it once on, all the accessories and dash lites light up,I turn it a second time to start the engine and nothing happens, no cranking of the engine, no ticking noises, nothing. everything on the vehicle works fine, this is the only problem i have. I have a fully charged ultima battery and all of my cable and wires are intact going to my starter and from my battery. i removed the starter and had it tested, it is fine. someone mentioned the VATS may be malfunctioning. I tried my spare key to start it, but to no avail. need some advice, please.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:01 PM
FormerVendor

check all your fuses
Old 10-22-2004, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
check all your fuses
i checked them, they are all fine.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

Is this a Z-28? Also when you do see the dash lights illuminate do you see a security light flashing or illuminating any? Does this car have a factory alarm or aftermarket?
Old 11-05-2004, 06:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by monodax
Is this a Z-28? Also when you do see the dash lights illuminate do you see a security light flashing or illuminating any? Does this car have a factory alarm or aftermarket?
the security light keeps flashing. I have the factory alarm system. sorry so late on the reply, i just came back from vacation.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

That's the answer, security light flashing. Read you owners manual. It says wait 3 min. and try again. The problem is the resistor pellet on the key. Says you don't have to wait to try another key. Says if that light is flashing the starter and fuel system is shut off. When you check your fuses use a test light on both sides of the fuse, a fuse can look good and still be bad. My owners manual says if you have done all this the next thing is to go to the dealer to get keys made that will work. Oh and it says your key has to be clean and dry. Good luck.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

I did a quick search on this. (I got interested in case it happens to me) Some people on here have fixed the problem by "cleaning the chip". They mean the resistor pellet on the key. If it is dirty your car will think it is the wrong key.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WS6 RULES
I did a quick search on this. (I got interested in case it happens to me) Some people on here have fixed the problem by "cleaning the chip". They mean the resistor pellet on the key. If it is dirty your car will think it is the wrong key.
YOUR GOING TO NEED A NEW CYLINDER OR BYPASS THE PASS LOCK SYSTEM.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Default well

FYI, same thing happened to me, I ordered a fuel pump because I didnt hear it when ever I turned the key to let juice go to all the accessories.
Anyways, I got the spare set of keys that I had, and sure enough, the car started right up. I'm so happy that this was a quick fix...
Old 12-04-2004, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your ground is broken in your steering column. You will need to replace that or bypass VATS.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:58 AM
Teching In

i took my camaro to the dealer after waiting about a month for an appointment. they ran some diagnostics and found that indeed it was a broken wire in the ignition cylinder. it cost me $550.00 to replace it. thanks to all those who replied and for all of the helpful advice.

Quick Reply: my 2001 camaro won't start