Sponsored by:

LS1edit vs HP Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1edit vs HP Tuners

(Hope this isn't a repost) but more than likely it is
I'm just getting into this and I'm wondering which one is really better?
I know that some people are coming out with some kind of new tuning software but i need a tuning software soon and More Performance is going to tune my car using ls1 edit; i was thinking about buying it but i want a scan tool also. I have heard of EFI live but that will run me a total of (ls1 edit+ EFI live= 1,000) 500 for each i think? and i think that someone has said that the HP TUners comes with a scan tool also, so its two in one right??

Need help yall.

Anyways i was wondering about that, since i'm goign to need something to tune my car after the procharger (p1-sc)
Old 10-31-2004, 10:02 PM
FormerVendor

use the search my friend. with the testimonials alone on the first page your questions is answered
Old 10-31-2004, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

You should try a search. HP Tuners was better before but now with that v1.5 there is no comparison.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

HPTuners is by far a better value than edit. I like how they keep updating the software to make it better and better.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

I HAVE DISCOVERED THAT THIS IS OUT OF DATE. ls1edit vs. Hptuners needs to be updated. the last discussion was before the newest version.

Now the last discussion i have read was that HPtuners and ls1edit are very similar since ls1edit now has a scanning tool. reasons for the similarities is kinda weird since hptuners was supposed to be more up to date than ls1edit, but i guess they are about the same now.

I have been talking to both, and both , now, are VERY SIMILAR. LAtest updates now prevent ls1edit from locking the pcm. More performance is going to tune my car with ls1edit, since they know it all the way, and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to get the NEW version of LS1Edit. Unless someone can come up with a better plan. I'm currently reading BOTH of the user guides of HPTUNERS AND LS1EDIT to see the differences (and i know that just reading won't show all differences) but these guides are up to date and i want to see which is really better, if either one of them truly are
Old 11-01-2004, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Unless LS1 edit has upgraded the AUTOTAP scan tool, the HPTuners scan is more complete and can run 20 minute logs. The edit functions can be trial and error or you can get a good scan log and zero in on your changes. A spriited 20 minute run with the scan tool running will give you not only the peak values, but also those important intermediate values to tune the PCM. Properly used the scan function can make the edit software easier to use.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
More performance is going to tune my car with ls1edit, since they know it all the way, and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to get the NEW version of LS1Edit.
Seems like you answered your own question here.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
More performance is going to tune my car with ls1edit, since they know it all the way, and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to get the NEW version of LS1Edit.
Why would you bother buying either if youre only going to have somoeone else tune your car for you? Any good shop should offer re-tunes for free or atleast a modest nuisance fee just to keep you from coming in ever weekend for a re-tune.

Now if you really do plan on tuning things yourself, My vote goes to HPTuners for a bunch of reasons. Carputing (LS1 Edit) sat on their asses until HPT came out and carputing's sales went way down. I dont like the idea of a company sitting still until theyre forced into action. HPTuners has been evolving and releasing tons of new updates and revisions since they first came out. Their editor is very easy to understand and use. Their scanner is top notch with histograms and real time tools. Their staff actively participates on all the major LS1 forums, as well as their own HPTuners specific forum. But thats just my opinion. Im very happy I went with HPTuners.

-Tony
Old 11-01-2004, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gordy M
Unless LS1 edit has upgraded the AUTOTAP scan tool, the HPTuners scan is more complete and can run 20 minute logs. The edit functions can be trial and error or you can get a good scan log and zero in on your changes. A spriited 20 minute run with the scan tool running will give you not only the peak values, but also those important intermediate values to tune the PCM. Properly used the scan function can make the edit software easier to use.
FYI HPT is 50,000 frames now (has been for quite some time I believe) ... and it's good for an hour or so of logging..

But as mentioned... the HPT Scan tool is MUCH better than the scan tool carputing is attempting to put out there... (I also own LS1 Edit and switched to HPT)

HPT Offers cable I/O ... 4 inputs and 2 outputs ... lets you receive data from other sensors (0-5 volts, example... wideband O2, maybe a 3 bar MAP, etc...)

outputs are configured via the scanning tool... so no need for anRPM Switch (window switch/nitrous) , WOT switch (if TPS % >= 100 then send a ground), Shift light (program it yourself ) (need to keep laptop on and running though) ... the outputs go to ground when activated so perfect for exciting a relay ...

HPT Offers BiDirectional communication ... (excellent tuning aid .. control parts of the car from the laptop real time ... )

HPT Offers DTC scanning and also Readiness tests ... so you can see how your car would compare to state Emissions tests (OBDII tests)

HPT Offers the ability to disable LTRIMS for tuning purposes in the editor... don't think LS1 Edit offersthat

HPT Binaries are not encrypted... LS1 Edit binaries are encrypted (can only be used with LS1 Edit)

LS1 Edit has practically no resale value... you buy it, basiclaly plan on owning it forver... I'm trying to sell my LS1 Edit cable AND the PCM it's locked to and am having a hard time... it costs 200 or 250 for a new license... you can get HPT for 500 ... so that means you can only resell your cable for maybe 150 tops? for another 100 the new owner could buy HPT and be able to sell it in the future

HP Tuners isn't VIN locked... year and model locked... so if you buy it for an xx year f-body... it'll work on any f-body of that year... not just your car

Last edited by horist; 11-01-2004 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used LS1 Edit for nearly 5 years and sold it 5 months ago for a much more advanced and powerful tuning tool called HP Tuners.

HP Tuners and LS1 Edit are NOT the same!!!

LS1 Edit offers a very basic scanner that's still listed as beta.

LS1 Edit is locked to a single PCM (additional PCM's can be added for more $$$)
HP Tuners is only limited to vehicle type and year. Example, my '02 f-body cable can be used to tune any other '02 f-body PCM. No additional licenses required.

Have you priced a used PCM lately? If you buy LS1 Edit, you better and expect to pay again to add your new PCM to your cable after LS1 Edit frags your first PCM during a write. There's no PCM recovery feature with LS1 Edit.
HP Tuners has a PCM recovery tool built in. If the cable gets yanked during a write or your laptop battery dies, no need to sweat about it.

How much spare time do you have? You better have plenty if 2 minute writes are OK with you and if you decided to do a full read, expect to wait about 20 minutes. I prefer to only spend 20 seconds for my writes with HP Tuners and a full read only takes 2 minutes.

Are you thinking of a Wideband O2? Scratch that if you buy LS1 Edit since only HP Tuners and Flashscan will come with O2 integration and HP Tuners is the only one that offers it NOW.

HP Tuners just released 1.5 and it's vastly better then the previous release, which is really saying something. PCM control, aux inputs/outputs, wideband integration, need I say any more? It's the best of EVERYTHING.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

These threads are getting kind of ridiculous. The HP Tuners crowd has spoken up time and time again and people either dont use the search or "refuse" to believe that its a good product? Any other HP Tuner users out there growing tired of trying to explain to people that wont listen why its better? I say let em buy edit if they want to. Hindsight is 20/20. Do your research and figure it out for yourself if you arent going to have an open mind.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:46 PM
FormerVendor

Edits scanner isnt even bug free. And you ONLY GET TO MODIFY you car as opposed to the whole year. I am sure you ahve buddies that have your year that you could tune for a small fee to help recoupe the costs for your purchase. That alone right there wouldve sold me.

If HPTuners 1.4 version kicked Edits *** what makes you think it wouldve lost any ground with an update that OFFERS LOGGIG FROM THE OUTPUT IF A WB. Does edit offer that

Aside from the fact most of the tables you are comapring Edit and HPTuners to isnt even touched anyways. Why would that be the basis of comaprison

I ALSO SOLD MY EDIT FOR TUNERS
Old 11-01-2004, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SidewayzOZ
These threads are getting kind of ridiculous. The HP Tuners crowd has spoken up time and time again and people either dont use the search or "refuse" to believe that its a good product? Any other HP Tuner users out there growing tired of trying to explain to people that wont listen why its better? I say let em buy edit if they want to. Hindsight is 20/20. Do your research and figure it out for yourself if you arent going to have an open mind.
Its kindof like watching a sky diver's parachute fail to open. You know its going to be a horiffic incident. Chances are no matter how you scream, its not likely to change the outcome.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Its kindof like watching a sky diver's parachute fail to open. You know its going to be a horiffic incident. Chances are no matter how you scream, its not likely to change the outcome.
Exactly. Awesome example
Old 11-01-2004, 04:00 PM
FormerVendor

I should start a collection of threads and save the in a notepad document for threads like this...
Old 11-01-2004, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

THANK YOU. i mean ****. finally you guys come out and say something. none of the other threads really told anything about the product. SOMEONE NEEDS TO PIN THIS AND MAKE IT A STICKY or SOMETHING. this tells the whole ls1edit vs hptuners

I searched and read over 10pages of ****, and none of which had hptuners successfully covered or even mentioned to a good degree as they had just come out with the tuning software

I thank all who replied. My questions have been answered along with probably a bunch of peoples.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree, we need to make a sticky about how HP Tuners is > than xxx
Old 11-02-2004, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

has anyone had any problems with the new versions of these programs, a friend had to borrow a program and calbe to finish tuning, don't know all the details (the problem was with hptuners)
Old 11-02-2004, 06:34 PM
FormerVendor

PICNIC

Problem in chair not in comptuter
Old 11-02-2004, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

haha very funny. Figured since this thread is active that people would actually respond with an answer to the question that i stated above in my last post. NO DISCUSSIONs have been made about the latest updates in ls1edit and hptuners.

lata