Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPTuner problem......

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HPTuner problem......

I posted this on the HPTuner website, but I figured I would post it on here too...

I need some help with a problem, and I'm not that familiar with computers, only basic stuff. It's kind of long, but I'm telling you EVERYTHING I did.

Ok, we'll I took my car out (2000 Camaro V8 ) and was going to log data for tuning purposes, so I opened up the VCM scanner, hit the record button, and it started to log, stopped it, and saved it. I got home to open the file to view it, it was a CFG file and a window popped up asking what program do I wish to open this file with (which has never happened to me before), so I chose the VCM scanner, so I opened it with that and a window would pop up with the title "Open Log Data Error" and it says "458 Variable uses an Automation type not supported by in Visual Basic".

So then I decided to try another run, so I reopened the VCM scanner and hit log, a window popped up saying that I didn't have the parameters on the table display that I wanted to log, so I went to the table display to look at it and there was nothing on it, liked someone had cleared it, so picked all the stuff that was on the chart before it screwed up on me, so I hit the log button and it started logging of course, stopped it, saved it, and tried to open it, and it wouldn't play back my log file.

What's the deal with this?
I just upgraded to the new software not to long ago because I had another problem with HPTuners.......
Old 11-01-2004, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't open the .cfg file the .cfg file is a configuration file, stores what parameters are displayed and screen settings etc...

It should be a .hpl file

I just did a test... tried to open the .cfg (default.cfg) saying Open with VCM Scanner... same error... the file format is invalid for a data file so it errors

I then tried opening a .hpl file (HP Tuners auto associates .hpl files with VCM Scanner) and it opened fine

I then renamed my file, log.hpl to log.cfg and it still opened fine in VCM Scanner... so you're opening hte wrong file...

Sounds like you're going to file -> Save Config as ... instead of Scan -> Save Data As

Scan

Save Data As: Save the current memory from a scan session to a log file.
File
Save Config As: Save the current loaded scan parameters to a file.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:22 PM
12 Second Club

when I saved my logged data, that the the type of file it automatically saved it to, how do I change it?
Old 11-01-2004, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hardtop00SS
when I saved my logged data, that the the type of file it automatically saved it to, how do I change it?
Are you *sure* you're going to scan save data as and not file-> Save Config as...

Even a log file that has a .cfg ending to it will open just fine...

How large is the file? (right click on it and it will show the size) ...
Old 11-01-2004, 06:29 PM
12 Second Club

damn, I did save it through save config. as, we'll there is one problem fixed, what about the other with the VCM scanner not working on me? That didn't stop working until I saved the log file that was a cfg. file....

Thanks for the help horist, it's been a long Monday for me..
Old 11-01-2004, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

you can try 2 things...

1. Open VCM Flash, go to FIle-> OPen COnfig ... navigate to C:\program files\hp tuners (or if you installed somewhere else go there)
2. Select default.cfg ... see if that works

or
Uninstall HP Tuners and Reinstall and should put the defaults back in there for ya
Old 11-01-2004, 06:33 PM
FormerVendor

reinstall the program you prolly overworte the config fiel that it uses when the scanner is started
Old 11-01-2004, 08:09 PM
12 Second Club

ok I found another problem, the default.cfg, when I changed the other files I saved as cfg. and chose to open them with VCM scanner program, it changed the default cfg. also so what program do I chose to open this one? Damn it this is pissing me off
Old 11-01-2004, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

uninstall HP Tuners (go to control panel, add/remove programs, VCM Suite)
It should remove all supporting files... but just in case go to C:\program files\hp tuners\ and make sure default.cfg is deleted

Then reinstall the software , it will recreate the default.cfg file and you should be good to go
Old 11-01-2004, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

ok.....unistalled it, reinstalled it, clicked on default and an error message comes up, readind "Component 'COMDLG.OCX' or one of it's dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid". What the hell does this mean?
Old 11-01-2004, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hardtop00SS
ok.....unistalled it, reinstalled it, clicked on default and an error message comes up, readind "Component 'COMDLG.OCX' or one of it's dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid". What the hell does this mean?
You have to install your original CD/installation first... the original install CD comes with some extra VB components required for HPT to work... the update you d/l off the web is a patch/add-on and assumes you already have the extra components (saves on bandwidth)

Install base/original CD
Then Install the 1.5 upgrade
Old 11-01-2004, 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

thanks man, I'll try that
Old 11-01-2004, 08:39 PM
12 Second Club

.......now when I open default, it says "imcompatable log file version"
Old 11-01-2004, 09:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That is fine.. everything will just open up blank.

Install the CD.. then the 1.5 update..

Then right click the table display and load defaults.

Do the same for the chart configuration.

Now, do a save config as.. and save it as your default.cfg
Old 11-02-2004, 06:46 AM
12 Second Club

ok I loaded the defualts and they are on the table so it should work right on the car, but have one more question, the cfg. are still configured to be open with the VCM scanner, what are suppose to be opened with? Thanks a lot for all the help horist and Magnus.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

CFG files in hptuners tell the scanner what sensors you want to monitor. They do not open with anything when you double click on the .CFG file. What you have to do is open the scanner then choose FILE then choose OPEN CONFIG and select the file that way.