PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is there a "college student budget" version of ANYTHING?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there a "college student budget" version of ANYTHING?

my car is not running as fast as it should be, and i need to scan it or at least check out what the computer is seeing and doing.

on my old LT1 it was great because there was free and/or cheap software and the cables wern't too terribly expensive, i never had a problem checking out my old LT1 car with my laptop.

but now that i've got my LS1 car the cheapest halfway decent program is 500 bucks!

$500 is more than half of my monthly income (college student budget) and so it is obviously out of the question that i'm going to be able to dish out $500 for a software program and cable. are there any "lite" versions of the different programs or even a "freescan" equivelant?
Old 11-08-2004, 12:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are several LS1-oriented car clubs in the Orlando
area, and if you hook up with one or two of those you
are likely to find someone who already has the tools.

I have yet to see any freeware / shareware / cheapware
tools "get real" for the LS1 / OBD-II.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can usually pic up versions of autotap for 100-150 used but in great condition...this will allow you to view pretty much anything going on with your car...as far as tuning goes though your stuck with ls1 edit, hptuners or efi live when that comes out.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I've got a AutoTap v1 (cable & software) I'll no longer be using. Note that it's not the later version which has faster scanning, and the Windows-based software is sluggish. if you don't need fancy graphs and can boot into a DOS-mode, I'd recommend sticking with the DOS-based version.

Which model year do you have? There's a guy in the Orlando area which has the '99 HPtuners, and I've got the '98 version. I can't speak for him but if you had a '98 I'd help you out.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I've got a AutoTap v1 (cable & software) I'll no longer be using. Note that it's not the later version which has faster scanning, and the Windows-based software is sluggish. if you don't need fancy graphs and can boot into a DOS-mode, I'd recommend sticking with the DOS-based version.

Which model year do you have? There's a guy in the Orlando area which has the '99 HPtuners, and I've got the '98 version. I can't speak for him but if you had a '98 I'd help you out.
i've got a '99

is this guy on any of the boards or have an email address?
Old 11-08-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

love the title.

how about a highschool budget
Old 11-08-2004, 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

It's been a few months. I'll see if I can dig up his name - I might still have it in e-mail archives.

The scanner component of HPTuners will read any standard OBDII port, just like AutoTap, EFILive, etc. So you don't need to have the 1999 version to scan/log/clear codes - it can be any version 1997-2004. If you need to change settings in your calibration then you'll need to find someone who paid for a 1999 F-body license.