Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1133 and 1153 by the way!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 05:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1133 and 1153 by the way!

If you swap out your 02 sensors after getting these codes, dont throw out your old ones, they're still good! 1133 and 1153 is just not enough heat, it doesnt mean that they're worn or clogged.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Good to know. How did you come to this conclusion?
Old 11-11-2004, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is true.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:08 AM
Teching In

An 02 sensor doesnt work until it reaches a certain temperature, so if you never reach that temp, the sensor will never work. 1133 and 1153 specifically mean not enough heat to work, so the fix is getting the sensors hotter, not replacing them. Just for giggles I bench tested the 4 sensors I pulled from my car and everyone was fine. Two had 50k on them. According to the experts there is little difference between a new sensor and one with 45k on it. They told me it either works or it doesnt. Think of it as similar to a light bulb.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by armyadarkness
An 02 sensor doesnt work until it reaches a certain temperature, so if you never reach that temp, the sensor will never work. 1133 and 1153 specifically mean not enough heat to work, so the fix is getting the sensors hotter, not replacing them. Just for giggles I bench tested the 4 sensors I pulled from my car and everyone was fine. Two had 50k on them. According to the experts there is little difference between a new sensor and one with 45k on it. They told me it either works or it doesnt. Think of it as similar to a light bulb.

Not trying to be a jerk but rather helping someone that might be searching on this same issue one day.

How do you get your exaust temps higher?
Old 11-12-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by armyadarkness
I thought old O2 sensors were supposed to get lazy, and new ones would switch faster and work better?
Old 11-13-2004, 05:42 AM
Teching In

From the previous replies there are two issues to address. 1st, there are several ways to get the exhaust hotter. The cheapest way is to wrap your manifolds / headers, and y-pipe with a thermal barrier made for wrapping exhausts (Jegs and Summit have several brands). Unfortunately although this is the cheapest, its probably the hardest to do. On the flip side it also yeilds several benefits. Just like metal, gas expands and contracts when heated and cooled, keeping the hot gas focussed inside the pipe will help it to exit the exhaust quicker. Most wrap manufacturers will even note a small HP/ performance gain. An added benefit is reduced floorboard and under hood temps as well as interior sound reduction. As evidence of it's effective nature, I have rarely noticed a dragster or nascar not sporting header wrap. However, I have also never tried it since until now I never needed to, so I cant say how it would or wouldnt help an 02 sensor (yet!). As further evidence, most header manufacturers will void their warranty if you use a thermal barrier. This is more proof that it does keep a substantially higher temp within the pipes.

For anyone who has read this far and wondering, the reason it voids the warranty is that the higher temps COULD crack welds and pipes. I have never seen this happen though due to header wrap and there are sevevral ways to combat that problem if it were an issue. A properly tuned engine shouldnt generate temps high enough to do damage. As a welder, I have repaired cracks in many stock manifolds on low performance engines because the exhaust was too hot from poor tuning or maintenence. In 15 years I have never done a header.

As far as bench testing goes, that is done with the removed 02 sensor mounted in a vise and using a propane torch to heat it, and volt meter to read it's signal.

2nd, as far as an old sensor not working as good as a new one, I agree that in almost every case new is better. Bosch states that the difference between old and new is minimal, and my bench tests have showed the same. Although I still believe new is better, many things in this world do get better with age. Like good mufflers.

I know that the ram air hood and pvc filter I made drastically reduced my engine and under hood temps. This is probably why I'm getting the 02 codes. My next concoction will hopefully keep those temps low but raise the sensor temps. I'll let you know! If you havent already, check my post on what I've done so far.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/236832-holy-codes-batman-story-magnificent-proportions.html