Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

want to see fire balls shooting out the exhaust? Host my vid

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default want to see fire ***** shooting out the exhaust? Vid inside

I believe I am running a little rich I don't have the funds for a dyno tune right now how else can I fix this. I was told a MAFT but found nothing but bad testaments about them on the search button. Also don't you need some kind of live data scan tool to work with the MAFT? My tail pipes

Last edited by Tranzaman00; 11-11-2004 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tranzaman00
I believe I am running a little rich I don't have the funds for a dyno tune right now how else can I fix this. I was told a MAFT but found nothing but bad testaments about them on the search button. Also don't you need some kind of live data scan tool to work with the MAFT? My tail pipes
Send it to me. z28venom@yahoo.com

Fire *****

Last edited by Z28Venom; 11-11-2004 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
Send it to me. z28venom@yahoo.com

Cool! you did my last one. Here it comes
Old 11-11-2004, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks again Z! Here it is Fire *****
Be sure to right click and save as or it wont work.

Last edited by Tranzaman00; 11-11-2004 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Well, I can't view it, I will try it out tonight on my home computer.

Look at my avatar, my SS used to do that as well. It is locally (and on the internet) know as the Flame Throwing SS.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:03 AM
Restricted User

Yep, she has some un-burnt fuel in the exhuast. When did it start doing it? Did you change any parts? Add any parts? Run any race fuel?

On a positive note, you could put some ignitors back there and have it make bigger flames. <- I just like the flames.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Well I never new it was shooting flames until last night, however I was thinking it was for some time now. It was been popping and crackling for well over a year maybe 2 years. It seemed to get worse and worse. I was told it was probably my chokemaster
(broken baffle) so I switched to my magnaflow set up recently and put on mufflex off-road pipes, needless to say it was not the chokemaster or an exhaust leak. I got around to filming it w/a buddy and really got on it in the revs and sure enough it was flame throwing. I do have 28.8# injectors but it was doing this prior to putting them on. Any suggestions?
Old 11-13-2004, 01:15 PM
MASS seller approved

Well I never new it was shooting flames until last night, however I was thinking it was for some time now. It was been popping and crackling for well over a year maybe 2 years. It seemed to get worse and worse. I was told it was probably my chokemaster
(broken baffle) so I switched to my magnaflow set up recently and put on mufflex off-road pipes, needless to say it was not the chokemaster or an exhaust leak. I got around to filming it w/a buddy and really got on it in the revs and sure enough it was flame throwing. I do have 28.8# injectors but it was doing this prior to putting them on. Any suggestions?
You need tuning or a MAFT. Definately running too rich.

When I finished up installing my first 408 a couple years ago, I had gotten just a base tune on it so I could break the clutch in before getting it dyno tuned. We left it a little rich to be on the safe side, needless to say, it would shoot 3 foot flames out my full exhaust (Magnaflow).
Old 11-13-2004, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tim @ EADPerformance
You need tuning or a MAFT. Definately running too rich.

When I finished up installing my first 408 a couple years ago, I had gotten just a base tune on it so I could break the clutch in before getting it dyno tuned. We left it a little rich to be on the safe side, needless to say, it would shoot 3 foot flames out my full exhaust (Magnaflow).

what else do I need to go along with the MAFT? How does it work, dont you need some kind of scan tool to show live data?
Old 11-14-2004, 10:19 PM
Restricted User

Get it tuned by a local speed shop. If you only have a base tune with bigger injectors, it's going to run weird.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^ what he said
Either have a shop tune it or buy a tuning software ...

your sig says you have 28.8lb injectors... but you have an 00 car that came w/26lb injectors... may not seem like alot but that's going to make you run pretty rich
Old 11-15-2004, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by horist
^^^ what he said
Either have a shop tune it or buy a tuning software ...

your sig says you have 28.8lb injectors... but you have an 00 car that came w/26lb injectors... may not seem like alot but that's going to make you run pretty rich

Thanks, but like I said it was doing this prior to the bigger injectors and superchips. I would still like to know my ? about the MAFT and how it works.
Do you need a scan tool to go along with it so you can read live data? There is no tuning shop in my area closest one is 5hrs. away and I don't have a lap top. when ever it throws the flames and pops my A/F ratio gauges go all the way to rich. This means that it is igniting before the front o2 sensors, why no codes if im running that rich.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks, but like I said it was doing this prior to the bigger injectors and superchips. I would still like to know my ? about the MAFT and how it works.
Do you need a scan tool to go along with it so you can read live data? There is no tuning shop in my area closest one is 5hrs. away and I don't have a lap top. when ever it throws the flames and pops my A/F ratio gauges go all the way to rich. This means that it is igniting before the front o2 sensors, why no codes if im running that rich.
Alright..
Here's the deal.. Theres nothing that the Maft can do for you. You upgraded to bigger injectors without tunning for them. This probably made the problem even worse.

The maft is just a way to dial in your a/f ratio a bit. Richen or lean it up with the twist of a switch.

I upgraded from the 26.4s to the 28.8s and I needed a tune right away.

Do a SEARCH for MAFT.. you'll find all that you need to know about it..
Old 11-15-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Alright..
Here's the deal.. Theres nothing that the Maft can do for you. You upgraded to bigger injectors without tunning for them. This probably made the problem even worse.

The maft is just a way to dial in your a/f ratio a bit. Richen or lean it up with the twist of a switch.

Thanks
Old 11-15-2004, 10:31 PM
Restricted User

Old 11-15-2004, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
whats so funny?
Old 11-15-2004, 10:55 PM
Restricted User

Alright..

Nothing is funny, I am agreeing with Venom. I said about 6 posts ago you needed a tune and then about 8 posts before that. Your car needs a simple diagnostic and tune.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
Nothing is funny, I am agreeing with Venom. I said about 6 posts ago you needed a tune and then about 8 posts before that. Your car needs a simple diagnostic and tune.

Well thanks for your help, but if you would have read everything instead of jumping to you need a tune! You would realize from my first post that I understand that I am running rich I was trying to find out if there were other options such as the MAFT or anything else would fix the problem. The reason why I was trying to find this out is because like it says in the first post I don't have access to a dyno tune or HP tuners. This is why I was trying to find out some info on the MAft which actually venom was the only one to respond to. He also was nice enough to host the vid in the firdt place.