PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 tuning + LS1 edit....what do I need for tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS1 tuning + LS1 edit....what do I need for tuning?

I am new to the LS1 tuning world and need some help. What program, parts, etc do I need to dyno-tune a modified LS1? How many options are there?

I know the basic plug-in units like a Diablo, Hypertech, etc are far too basic and many people talk about the "LS1 edit". Is this the best way to go? Will I just need a laptop to make full range adjustments to the PCM?

A little tuning 101 or FAQ would be great
Old 11-22-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you use ls1 edit you also need logging /scanning software like efilive or autotap to see what your engine is doing before and after you tune.....
www.hptuners.com <----has logging software built in, very popular, good prices and support
efilive flashscan <----should be out soon i think, looks cool
check out the tuning section here...good info

Last edited by horist; 11-22-2004 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Modified link
Old 11-22-2004, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

I have looked over a few sites now. Any verdict on LS1 Edit vs. HP Tuners? Same price, seemingly same features and lots of tuning parameters. I would guess there are more LS1 Edit base programs floating around out there to share?
Old 11-22-2004, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

V8er ...

HPT Scanner is one of the best on the market ... ls1 edit only introduced it because HPT included it (and CPT scanner sux IMHO ... I have LS1 Edit)

HPT you get 2 licenses for car types .... LS1 Edit the tuning is locked to your PCM (not vin locked but PCM locked) ... w/HPT you can pick 2 products theiy carry and the cable will work on any of them (so if you buy for a 2000 F-Body ... it will work on ANY 2000 F-Body ... whereas edit will only work on the first car you write to)

I would guess there are more LS1 Edit base programs floating around out there to share?
Depends what you mean by this....

one of the stickys is an HP Tuners repository ... and it's growing quickly...

well.. if you lose your software.. LS1 Edit (carputing) charges money since to them you need to upgrade your service agreement...

there are pirated copies of edit around... but won't help anyone since the actual cable (ls1 edit cable) enforces licensing ... and it's 1 license 1 pcm .... if you want to sell the cable and software you need to include the PCM or the purchasing party needs to pay 250 bux to add a new license to the cable (if it's below 4 licenses)
Old 11-22-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Another downside to LSEdit, unless it's been fixed in V1.5, is that there are numerous people who have locked up/fried the PCM using LSEdit. The reason primarily is because of the way it writes to the PCM VS the way HP Tuners and EFILive do.

For noobs like me (or all of us when we first start using these tuning tools) it's very important to know that if you make a mistake with HP or EFlive, you can start over and not toast/disable your PCM.

With LSEdit if it fries, you have to send your PCM to LSEdit and/or try to get it reflashed at a dealer (about $90). The dealer couldn't reflash mine, so I had to get a new PCM and send it to LSEdit. That probably won't ever happen with HP Tuners and EFILive.

I will be upgrading to EFILive Flashscan since I own EFILive V6Pro, but only because I have used their scanner and like it. I don't doubt that HP Tuners is an excellent product too.

A plus for HP tuners...I personnaly think there is more tuning information/feedback on their forum than at EFILive.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 11-22-2004 at 11:56 PM.