Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need tuning help

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need tuning help

I've done a crap load of searching and im still undecided as to what i need to do with this thing tuning wise, so im going to try and see if i can get somebody more experienced than me to help me out with this. Okay, im about at the point of having to finish up wiring and do something with the computer to get my truck fired up for the first time. Right now im leaving the engine stock except for bolt on's and the possiblity i might do a mild head/cam package or maybe 125-150 shot nitrous, nothing that's really too extreme. Im running a M6 so i don't have to worry about all the tranny tuning, but what im needing is really alot of stuff removed. I've got to do away with VATS, post cat O2's, CAGS, EGR, and AIR, unless im forgetting something. Should i really bother with going through the expense of buying a laptop and HP tuners and learning how to use it, or would it be better for me to just send my ECU off to some place like Nelson Performance and have them do it for $500 with free upgrades? The only thing i don't like about the last option is they lock your ecu so only they can program it, plus my ECU is slightly damaged so they probably wouldn't swap it and i would have to have a new one programmed stock by the dealer for $80 bucks then send it to them.

Im located in north west georgia and so far i haven't found anyone resonably close to me that dyno tunes LS1's and has a good reputation, i think theres a few locally thats known for blowing up engines though. I've got to have this done before i can crank the truck up because of the VATS and the egr/air being gone, i've dropped this all in a 87 S10 and im running it with a 98 T/A M6 ECU with a custom harness. I'd really really like to be able to get dyno tuning done on the truck by someone that's got a good reputation and i don't have to drive 150+ miles to get there, but if all else fells i can always load up the trailer and make a long haul down to futral motorsports. So if anyone with tuning experience that can point me in the right direction for what i really NEED, or maybe inform me of some local tuners, i would greatly appreciate it. I've heard of a guy that will do dyno tuning on LS1 cars at Atlanta Chassis Dyno and he's suppose to be pretty good....but i can't find out who he is.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

I just sent you a PM.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

Anybody wanna lend a little bit of info to kinda help me out? Any reputable tuners within 200 miles of Rome,Ga?
Old 08-14-2005, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Rob Walden at Lamar Walden Automotive. He uses HP Tuners to tune and is pretty good.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For $500 you can buy HPTuners and do it yourself...Removing all the stuff you listed is really easy.

Good Luck in your search.

PS LS1/MN6 in an S10 sounds sick...do you have any pics?
Old 08-27-2005, 11:58 PM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default tune

check out cablebandit hes right outside of atlanta awesome tuner for FI cars but not a shop guy just a member who knows how to tune. Im not saying hell do it but it does not hurt to ask.

Originally Posted by LS1S10
I've done a crap load of searching and im still undecided as to what i need to do with this thing tuning wise, so im going to try and see if i can get somebody more experienced than me to help me out with this. Okay, im about at the point of having to finish up wiring and do something with the computer to get my truck fired up for the first time. Right now im leaving the engine stock except for bolt on's and the possiblity i might do a mild head/cam package or maybe 125-150 shot nitrous, nothing that's really too extreme. Im running a M6 so i don't have to worry about all the tranny tuning, but what im needing is really alot of stuff removed. I've got to do away with VATS, post cat O2's, CAGS, EGR, and AIR, unless im forgetting something. Should i really bother with going through the expense of buying a laptop and HP tuners and learning how to use it, or would it be better for me to just send my ECU off to some place like Nelson Performance and have them do it for $500 with free upgrades? The only thing i don't like about the last option is they lock your ecu so only they can program it, plus my ECU is slightly damaged so they probably wouldn't swap it and i would have to have a new one programmed stock by the dealer for $80 bucks then send it to them.

Im located in north west georgia and so far i haven't found anyone resonably close to me that dyno tunes LS1's and has a good reputation, i think theres a few locally thats known for blowing up engines though. I've got to have this done before i can crank the truck up because of the VATS and the egr/air being gone, i've dropped this all in a 87 S10 and im running it with a 98 T/A M6 ECU with a custom harness. I'd really really like to be able to get dyno tuning done on the truck by someone that's got a good reputation and i don't have to drive 150+ miles to get there, but if all else fells i can always load up the trailer and make a long haul down to futral motorsports. So if anyone with tuning experience that can point me in the right direction for what i really NEED, or maybe inform me of some local tuners, i would greatly appreciate it. I've heard of a guy that will do dyno tuning on LS1 cars at Atlanta Chassis Dyno and he's suppose to be pretty good....but i can't find out who he is.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the posts guys, i've been away from the site for a while. Got married and i got a baby boy now....well yall know how it goes, had to put the toys away for a little while. Ive got pics of it sitting in the old truck i was first going to use Nassyvette, since then though i've bought a 97 S-10 and haven't started on switching everything over yet. Probably not going to use the M6 anymore though, had to sell my full size and downsize to a '05 Colorado. Probably going to put a th350 behind it with a small stall so i can use it for towing duties.