Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird problems

Hey guys. I have been having some really weird problems lately with my car. It all started after i hooked up my Accel 375+ ignition control module. At first it rode fine. Now the air bag light, ASR light, ABS INOP light are all on UNLESS i activate my line lock then the lights flash and then go off. But while the lights flash the doors lock and unlock. The car will also not start. I think it might need a starter but it also might be linked to this problem This morning the car was locking and unlocking by itself??. Any suggestions? I know the first thing to do is to test if the starter is getting power. If its not and I repalce the starter but the reaminig problems stay i think i might just take off the 375+. It seems to be causing some interference problems. Has anyone else had any experiences like this before? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Adam
Old 11-28-2004, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95z6spd
Hey guys. I have been having some really weird problems lately with my car. It all started after i hooked up my Accel 375+ ignition control module. At first it rode fine. Now the air bag light, ASR light, ABS INOP light are all on UNLESS i activate my line lock then the lights flash and then go off. But while the lights flash the doors lock and unlock. The car will also not start. I think it might need a starter but it also might be linked to this problem This morning the car was locking and unlocking by itself??. Any suggestions? I know the first thing to do is to test if the starter is getting power. If its not and I repalce the starter but the reaminig problems stay i think i might just take off the 375+. It seems to be causing some interference problems. Has anyone else had any experiences like this before? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Adam
This sounds alot like a grounding problem. If all of this started happening when you installed the Ignition system, go back and check your wiring to make sure you are shorting to ground somewhere. It sound like you are either grounding something somewhere by accident that is tied to all of those other systems, or you are accidently feeding power somewhere by accident.

Very early in life, I did sorta the same thing with a cd changer. It was a alpine unit and at the time Alpine and Kenwood used different colors for 12 volt and acc leads and I mixed them up by accident. So what happened is we fed the 12 volt lead off the changer to the acc lead of the car, and the changer was getting power from another source, so once the car was started, even with key off and out of ignition the car was still running.

The other possiblity, is if the ACCEL piece is mounted too close to the PCM, the PCM could be picking up R/F noise, and causing the problems you are seeing. The 300+ Accel piece I had put out a tremendoud amount of R/F.

Check and recheck all of your wiring on the ignition piece, and check the mounting location of the Accel.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Wilkinson
This sounds alot like a grounding problem. If all of this started happening when you installed the Ignition system, go back and check your wiring to make sure you are shorting to ground somewhere. It sound like you are either grounding something somewhere by accident that is tied to all of those other systems, or you are accidently feeding power somewhere by accident.

Very early in life, I did sorta the same thing with a cd changer. It was a alpine unit and at the time Alpine and Kenwood used different colors for 12 volt and acc leads and I mixed them up by accident. So what happened is we fed the 12 volt lead off the changer to the acc lead of the car, and the changer was getting power from another source, so once the car was started, even with key off and out of ignition the car was still running.

The other possiblity, is if the ACCEL piece is mounted too close to the PCM, the PCM could be picking up R/F noise, and causing the problems you are seeing. The 300+ Accel piece I had put out a tremendoud amount of R/F.

Check and recheck all of your wiring on the ignition piece, and check the mounting location of the Accel.
Thanks Bryan... I mounted the Accel box in my glovebox. it is kinda close to the computer but not right next to it. This box is the 375+, i mounted the 300+ in the engine compartment near the airbox. I will have to check the grounds and wiring. Lately I just havent had much time. I am almost tempted to bring it somewhere but i am afraid of the bill they will give me. I'm sure you know how some shops are. Well I appreciate your advice. If you have anymore suggestions I'd appreciate it. Thanks
Adam
Old 11-28-2004, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95z6spd
Thanks Bryan... I mounted the Accel box in my glovebox. it is kinda close to the computer but not right next to it. This box is the 375+, i mounted the 300+ in the engine compartment near the airbox. I will have to check the grounds and wiring. Lately I just havent had much time. I am almost tempted to bring it somewhere but i am afraid of the bill they will give me. I'm sure you know how some shops are. Well I appreciate your advice. If you have anymore suggestions I'd appreciate it. Thanks
Adam
The Accel 375+ box is most definately causing these issues. It and its wiring needs to be put outside in the engine compartment. The only part of that install that can be mounted in the car is the little monitor. You are picking up R/F interference. I would start by mounting it in the engine compartment and seeing if the problems go away. If not then I would begin looking at the wiring like I was talking about earlier. Good Luck.