PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pay to tune or buy a good programmer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pay to tune or buy a good programmer?

I am wondering if its better to do a fe wmods, pay to have the car dyno tuned, rinse repeat
or
Buy a good programmer, and dial the car in as often as needed as mods come and go
Any thoughts on this?
Old 12-02-2004, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

If you are going to keep adding MODS I would buy HPTuner. Logging software is nice to have even if you are not needing the PCM changed. A tune can cost as much or more than the software to learn to do it yourself.

Bill

Old 12-02-2004, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

Well, being a Application Developer for a living, i am leaning towards a programmer like the HPTuner setup. I did some searching, and Im sure I have much more to research. Last year when I looked into a programmer its was Predator / ls1 edit . How does everyone like HPTuner? I realize it can do ALOT, does this include everything the little powerprogrammer can do (shifting, gear ratio etc.)?
Opinions welcome in all the different programmers.
Cheers
Old 12-02-2004, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Talking

Originally Posted by ChevE
Well, being a Application Developer for a living, i am leaning towards a programmer like the HPTuner setup. I did some searching, and Im sure I have much more to research. Last year when I looked into a programmer its was Predator / ls1 edit . How does everyone like HPTuner? I realize it can do ALOT, does this include everything the little powerprogrammer can do (shifting, gear ratio etc.)?
Opinions welcome in all the different programmers.
Cheers
A lot of people on this forum use HPTuners- they have great support and also have their own forum. There is also a new tuner from EFILive coming out in Jan. I use there logging software and it works great. They also have their own forum.

Good luck on which one you choose but make sure it is not LS1Edit. I have LS1Edit. It is not bad but their web site is the pits and they do not have very good support and no supported forum (It also cost more and does less than the other two). I am thinking of upgrading to EFILive next year. I like the idea of being able to log and edit with the same cables.

Bill
Old 12-03-2004, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you for the info. I realize tools like this evolve over time. LS1 Edit was likely good for its time. I had a read over the HPTuner forum, and it is impressive. I think I am going to wait until I get my wife her LS1 (Likely a 99/00 Forumla) so I can get the two LS1's I own when I order
Anyone else have opinions regarding other tuner software?
Also has anyone written up how to make your own cable ?
Cheers
Old 12-03-2004, 05:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by ChevE
Thank you for the info. I realize tools like this evolve over time. LS1 Edit was likely good for its time. I had a read over the HPTuner forum, and it is impressive. I think I am going to wait until I get my wife her LS1 (Likely a 99/00 Forumla) so I can get the two LS1's I own when I order
Anyone else have opinions regarding other tuner software?
Also has anyone written up how to make your own cable ?
Cheers

well if she got an 00 formy you would still need to order another license since youve got an 00 fbody already Definitly go with hptuners im very satisfied thus far and it looks like things are only getting better...but it can me a large initial investment considering you SHOULD buy the enhanced version $660+ WB o2 $350+a decent laptop if you dont already have one $500 & up but IMO its well worth it if you plan on adding more mods at any point.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Does Anybody Use A Superchip I Just Ordered One And I Just Wanted Some Feedback On Anybody Using It.