Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning other cars with diablo

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 04:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Tuning other cars with diablo

I have a diablo that I sold to my buddy, when I tried to tune his car the programmer said it was locked to another vehicle,(mine), how do I resolve this problem, if it matters my car is a 2001SS with a dyno tune from Cartek and my buddy has a 2000 Z28. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Has to be sent back to Diablo to be cleared, but you MUST have put your stock tune back on your car before you had it retuned. IF the Predator thinks the Predator tune is still on your car and that you haven't restored your stock tune to it, Diablo will not clear it. I bought one for my Vette and wasted 200 bucks before I got smart and bought HP tuners. They screw GM owners but let FORD guys swap the units without charge. Bastages, don't deserve another dime from any GM owner till they level the playing field. That said they did change this on the 2004 model Pred's, but they F**ked everyone who bought one before that. Jeff
Old 12-14-2004, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Angry GM Diablo Predetors - NOT A GOOD EXPERIENCE

Originally Posted by Mitzelj
Has to be sent back to Diablo to be cleared, but you MUST have put your stock tune back on your car before you had it retuned. IF the Predator thinks the Predator tune is still on your car and that you haven't restored your stock tune to it, Diablo will not clear it. I bought one for my Vette and wasted 200 bucks before I got smart and bought HP tuners. They screw GM owners but let FORD guys swap the units without charge. Bastages, don't deserve another dime from any GM owner till they level the playing field. That said they did change this on the 2004 model Pred's, but they F**ked everyone who bought one before that. Jeff
I agree with you Jeff. I have a 2004 Predator and I will check to see it what they said is true. The Diablo tune makes my car ping (on super unleaded). I took it to a performance shop and ran it on the dyno after I followed Diablo's direction to try to get it to stop pinging (move the timing back, increase a/f). It didn't work. The tune has my car running up to 30 degrees on the timing! I am going with an LS1 Edit and using the Diablo as an expensive code reader (difficult to sell because they want $75 to unlock the vin).

Don't go crazy looking for a phone number on there website, its not there. They will get to you when they feel like it. My opinion, go with someone else whom people have a positive experience. There are alot of options on the market. Don't fall for Diablo's GM predator.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:08 PM
Teching In

You shoouldn't need to send your 2004 model back, it should unlock itself as soon as you load the factory calibration back on your PCM. Good luck, Jeff
Old 12-15-2004, 09:42 AM
Teching In

Thumbs down Not according to Diablo

Originally Posted by Mitzelj
You shoouldn't need to send your 2004 model back, it should unlock itself as soon as you load the factory calibration back on your PCM. Good luck, Jeff
The only GM Diablo tuner that can remove the vin itself is the new one they just started to sell in the last month or so for the 2004 GM model cars. My Diablo tuner is only 4 months old and it has to be returned to get the vin cleared. WHAT JUNK.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have pinging issues why dont you get the numbers and email johan at diablo sport and he will send u a new tune. predators helped my pining and my timing was set in the custom tune to 29.9* from 2800-6400 rpm. all these new programs just started comming out where u can tune multiple cars cheaper. remember its a buisness and if they let you tune any car with the progammer they are gonna lose a lotta money cause i know i would do all my friends. makes sense to an extent...
Old 12-15-2004, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
if you have pinging issues why dont you get the numbers and email johan at diablo sport and he will send u a new tune. predators helped my pining and my timing was set in the custom tune to 29.9* from 2800-6400 rpm. all these new programs just started comming out where u can tune multiple cars cheaper. remember its a buisness and if they let you tune any car with the progammer they are gonna lose a lotta money cause i know i would do all my friends. makes sense to an extent...

The issue is simple. Most all other hand held programmers (including Diablo Ford version) will allow you to tune only one car at a time. This means you remove the tune and return back to stock. Then you can use it on another compatible car. Not with the Diablo GM version (except for the 04 vehicle model Diablo). They want another $75.

Its one thing if the tune is correct the first time, but its not. If you continue to modify your car, then you need a custom tune from Diablo (at an additional charge). At that point its just better to get an LS1 Edit from an experienced tuner. It cost about the same to a Diablo with a custom tune.]

I am going with a custom cam this month and having it tuned with an LS1 edit accordingly on a dyno. More power and is safer.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

who told you they charge for tunes? i get all my tunes from diablo for free. ive got about 20 or 30 different tunes all together in the last 2 years. never spent a penny on it
Old 12-15-2004, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Default Here it is from there website

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
who told you they charge for tunes? i get all my tunes from diablo for free. ive got about 20 or 30 different tunes all together in the last 2 years. never spent a penny on it
http://www.diablosport.com/CustomTun...stom%20Tuning?

4) Is there a charge for Custom Tuning?
Yes, we will invoice you a one-time fee of $120. The service you are paying for is 'Building a Custom Tune' and we will modify that tune until you are happy with it.

A Custom Tune is usually completed within two days after we receive your Original Tune or request for changes (more info below).
Old 12-15-2004, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

well damn, i dont have to pay, unless i was grandfathered out having the old one. since when did they do this?
Old 12-15-2004, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

well i wanna get hp tuners or efi live soon so i can do it all myself and not go through them
Old 12-16-2004, 04:04 AM
Launching!

Another vote for Predator. James at DiabloSportTuning did a great job.

Custom tune- check out my sig and my numbers.

One time fee for unlimited tunes is 100$
Works well if you planing to mod your car, you can have updated tunes within days.
Others are already answeared to your question about sending it back.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RC_Y2KWS6TA
I agree with you Jeff. I have a 2004 Predator and I will check to see it what they said is true. The Diablo tune makes my car ping (on super unleaded). I took it to a performance shop and ran it on the dyno after I followed Diablo's direction to try to get it to stop pinging (move the timing back, increase a/f). It didn't work. The tune has my car running up to 30 degrees on the timing! I am going with an LS1 Edit and using the Diablo as an expensive code reader (difficult to sell because they want $75 to unlock the vin).

Don't go crazy looking for a phone number on there website, its not there. They will get to you when they feel like it. My opinion, go with someone else whom people have a positive experience. There are alot of options on the market. Don't fall for Diablo's GM predator.
hptuners offers a $50 credit for predator fwiw towards their software/hardware.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

how much is hp tuners? i have seen all kinds of prices