PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glowing headers and fuel odor after ls6 and dual ex. install.

Old 12-04-2004, 04:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Glowing headers and fuel odor after ls6 and dual ex. install.

I sold my tts headers and borla cat back and swapped the system with a set of coated pacesetter lt headers, tsp duals, and installed a ls6 intake. I wrapped the collectors of the headers with header wrap to keep the o2 sensors warm.

I was idling the car at about 2500rpm today and gunned it a few times to enjoy the new sound. Music to my ears.....

back to the problem. The car has a MAFT and predator custom tune. The maft is set at 15% lean base setting- old tune. I need to adjust that to deal with the new mods. Any suggestions? The car has s very strong fuel smell. I noticed that after gunning the car, the headers were glowing light orange.

I was under the impression that this would be caused by a lean condition, but the fuel smell confuses me.

My 02 readings at idle were at around 340 on both banks. My ltfts were at 0% - -4%.

What could be the problem? I am ordering a HP tuner for the holidays and hope to tune my car with that.

I am running a 231 cam, ported TB, in addition to a pulley andA HOST OF OTHER MODS.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like it could be lean. First thing to do is remove the MAFT, you are getting false trims with it also. Its orgional intention was help correct for mods before pcm tuning was avaliable. If your custom tune is slightly lean along with a maft set lean, high combuston temps are causing them go glow.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

from my SBC experience, glowing headers usually mean an extremely lean condition. if you have a custom tune, why are you running the MAFT (the tune should take care of any a/f tuning)? i say unplug the MAFT and then see where your a/f ratio is
Old 12-05-2004, 01:47 AM
Restricted User

Yep, as they said, thats lean man. Get the MAFT off there. Get with the tuner from diablo and give them a good break down of mods, and LTFTs PT and WOT AFTER you remove and relearn from the MAFT. 340 at WOT is just a tad lean really, considering 880-920 (narrow bands SUCK) is nice*sarcasm complete*.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

Drive really easy until your HPtuners comes in. When it shows up, log some normal driving. You will be surprised at how fucked up your tune probably is. Fortunately, with HP you can fix everything.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

I requested a new tune for my predator as a temp. fix. I will follow your recommendations.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CAT3
340 at WOT is just a tad lean really, considering 880-920 (narrow bands SUCK) is nice*sarcasm complete*.
It was 340 at idle. The last time I logged wot ltfts at wot before the intake and duals I was at about 875.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Turo
from my SBC experience, glowing headers usually mean an extremely lean condition. if you have a custom tune, why are you running the MAFT (the tune should take care of any a/f tuning)? i say unplug the MAFT and then see where your a/f ratio is
The predator adjusts fuel at wot. I had some issues at base, so I used the maft for that. I had the maft before the predator and used that to adjust things on the dyno.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CAT3
340 at WOT is just a tad lean really, considering 880-920 (narrow bands SUCK) is nice*sarcasm complete*.
It was 340 at idle. The last time I logged wot ltfts at wot before the intake and duals I was at about 875.

Search this Thread