Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low coolent light question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low coolent light question

hey guys i guess this would be the right place to ask this. sorry if it's not but i'm new. i just bought my car 3 days ago and when i drive it for like 10 or 15 mins the low coolent light comes on. i checked my radiator (cold) and the overflow( also cold) and both were where they should be. also my temp never goes above 180. what do you think this could be? maybe my thermostat sticking or just need to change the coolent. there may be too much water and not enough antifreeze. any thoughts of where to start would be appriciated.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Replace the coolant level sensor....and get used to it...they crap out pretty often. I've changed mine three times. It's located on the radiator about 4" below the filler cap and is a cinch to change out...but the part is like $40 or something.

As for the thermostat, it's possible that the previous owner installed a low temp thermo and that is why the gage is reading low. I would change back to a stocker if it was my car (for my peace of mind)....but there's not anything "technically" wrong with a lower temp thermostat. Additionally, our temp gauge is more like a dummy light...it isn't very accurate. Mine stays just under 200, but the temp ranges from 190-225 or so. As long as it isn't reading too high, you are ok.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:12 PM
TECH Regular

Don't bother replacing the sensor. I had this happen to me... I unplugged the connector and taped it up with electrical tape to protect the end, and then tucked it away. The coolant sensor isn't connected to the PCM, so you won't get a SES light or have any problems. Just make sure you check your coolant level occasionally.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Thanks alot guys. i really appriciate you help. i unpluged it for now but i'll buy one next weekend when i'm at work. get 20% off at advance.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

98's had a 180* tstat stock. In the cold weather mine stayed around 180. Ditto on the sensor, they are junk. However I did take mine out and clean it with dish soap, the light has stayed off for 4k since the cleaning.