PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raw fuel smell coming out tail pipes!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Raw fuel smell coming out tail pipes!!!!

Need some educated guesses here!

Started car up tonite and let warm up, noticed raw fuel smell coming from tail pipes almost immediatly. Chalked it up to the cold weather, but when I began to drive I noticed car was very sluggish as I pressed down accelerator car began to buck and then set off service engine soon light (it started off just being on, then it began to blink the more I drove it) also as I let off throttle I could hear small backfires coming out tail pipes!!!!

I have been reading searches for the past hour and I think I have lost an O2 sensor or 3 or 4!

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

TIA! Oh yeah! Car has a tick over 48,000 miles.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did it go away when the car warmed up?
Old 12-08-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orange Krush
Need some educated guesses here!

Started car up tonite and let warm up, noticed raw fuel smell coming from tail pipes almost immediatly. Chalked it up to the cold weather, but when I began to drive I noticed car was very sluggish as I pressed down accelerator car began to buck and then set off service engine soon light (it started off just being on, then it began to blink the more I drove it) also as I let off throttle I could hear small backfires coming out tail pipes!!!!

I have been reading searches for the past hour and I think I have lost an O2 sensor or 3 or 4!

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

TIA! Oh yeah! Car has a tick over 48,000 miles.
Same problem here dude... The bucking and kicking is from the car not fueling properly. Mine does it when its wet. I bet those 42 pound injectors aren't helping either. If your running long tube headers, then the O2's more than likely have gone south. Have you scanned them yet??? If so what are the readings?
Old 12-08-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
did it go away when the car warmed up?
No it did not! It actually got worse.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SuperC1
Same problem here dude... The bucking and kicking is from the car not fueling properly. Mine does it when its wet. I bet those 42 pound injectors aren't helping either. If your running long tube headers, then the O2's more than likely have gone south. Have you scanned them yet??? If so what are the readings?
Have not scanned them yet, this week a buddie is coming over to ATAP them!
Old 12-09-2004, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blinking SES/MIL means misfire, and is backed up by hearing small backfires. Do you have cats or no? What other mods?
Old 12-09-2004, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Blinking SES/MIL means misfire, and is backed up by hearing small backfires. Do you have cats or no? What other mods?
Stock manifolds and cats are still in place. I have very few mods, SLP Y-pipe, SLP LM, and TNT F-1 wet kit, that's about it.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Smile

Originally Posted by SuperC1
Same problem here dude... The bucking and kicking is from the car not fueling properly. Mine does it when its wet. Have you scanned them yet??? If so what are the readings?
Had the codes scanned today by a good friend!

There were 2, P0200, & P0300!

We pulled the two PCM harnesses and found a tad bit of corrision, cleaned the pins in question plugged it back in, and voila ....... code and troubles are gone, throttle response is even a bit crisper than before the code, if that is even possible.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

I know this is an old post but for future refrences, I think I figured it out! my car started throwing those codes and would sputter and miss like crazy, to the point where raw fuel would come out of the dump, I can almost guarantee that it's caused by the pcm getting wet. leading to the corrosion of course, mine only does it after it gets wet ex. carwash, rain. has anyone ever tried relocating their pcms? or makine a protective cover for them? the only thing that i can think of is just sticking some di-electric grease in there.

if I make a cover i'm afraid that making a little case for it can cause it to over heat???
Old 06-04-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe its not the PCM. Maybe its the oxygen sensor connections getting corroded and not reading the full voltage? A lot of people bag thei PCM when it comes time to hose down the engine. I guess you could try that.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

i'm pretty sure it's the pcm since the cowl dumps all the water on the wiring harness on the pcm
Old 07-04-2005, 01:59 PM
Banned

i have the SAME EXACT problem.
I took the pcm apart and checked it out. Nothing out of the ordinary. I put it back together and I will try and start it up later.
I left it apart for 20-30 minutes to "AIR OUT" and see what happens.

Funny thing is I cleaned (washed) the car right before the issue. I washed it on a friday.. drove it saturday and had the issue. So the water thought is dead on with my problem.

thanks for this USEFULL information!
Old 07-04-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

mine did that this morning. white smoke coming out of the tailpipe. i had 2 codes 0172 and another, can't remember. both said too rich i think. I wonder if it's from my AC. the condensation drips right onto the front 02 on the passenger side. any thoughts?
Old 07-04-2005, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DanaliHD
I wonder if it's from my AC. the condensation drips right onto the front 02 on the passenger side. any thoughts?
In order for that to happen, you would have to see lean codes, not rich codes. When O2 sensors go bad, the opposite happens of what the code is. If voltage is pulled low or shorted to ground (indicating lean condition) the PCM adds fuel to compensate for a percieved lean condition. It keeps adding and adding until it cannot add any more. By that time a lean code has set and black soot is coming out the tailpipe. This happened ALOT on the 4.3L S-10s. Bank 2 would run rich and show lean due to AC condensation dripping on the connector.

Water in the PCM connector could short an injector control to ground causing it to stay open, which could set a rich code, misfire code, injector control circuit code or any combination of.

Quick Reply: Raw fuel smell coming out tail pipes!!!!