PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo = Tach? Other issues too...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speedo = Tach? Other issues too...

I'm having some major issues with my 1994 Camaro LS1 transplant.

Sometimes the car will fire right up, other times it pops, afterfires, and shoots blue flames out the exhaust. When it is running, it sounds great.

However, the tachometer doesn't function. In neutral, the speedometer is at 10mph and when you rev the motor, the speedometer goes up. The 6-speed is in neutral and all the sensors on the T-56 are hooked up as well. I can't figure out what this problem is for the life of me.

Some say the crankshaft position sensor, but I'm not sure why this would effect the speedo. Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Kyle
Old 12-12-2004, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you using the ls1 tach? i think it is different, and maybe a missing ground for the pcm and its backfeeding thru the gauges, or maybe just maybe you have the vehicle speed sensor pluged into the wrong sensor on the transmission.. does your skip shift work, or your reverse lockout when you first turn on the key, and did you disable vats? and maybe a wrong code or something in the program got messed up??
Old 12-12-2004, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Maybe I should make things more clear on the swap. Nothing is from the V6 car at all.

The PCM, engine wiring harness, interior wiring harness, dash, gauges, steering column, etc. are all from the 99 LS1 car.

The transmission sensors all only seem to go into one spot on the tranny. The skip shift is disabled.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm, maybe just a bad/missing ground then, what state are you in? ill come help if you are in indiana.. jes
Old 12-13-2004, 01:36 AM
TECH Resident

^what he said...bad ground. as far as it backfiring and stuff....Does it start and idle right from a cold start??? If it does, then check the coolant temp sensor, a bad connection there will throw off the fuel mixture, and would explain the blue flames--> too rich. when it is warm and is idleing like **** start at the sensor and start wiggling the wire down the length of the wire.
If you used a butt connector on it, take it off and solder it instead of using a butt-connector, slide some heat shrink as far as you can away from the soldering point to prevent it from shrinking from the solder on one side and then solder the connection then slide the heat shrink over it and heat it. Took me 3 days to figure out what had happend to mine...traced it back to when I went to a 3 wire coolant sensor 2 days after my swap. I had to hold the throttle to the floor for it to get it to start, then play with the throttle to get it to clean up, then it would surge and sometimes die. I felt like i was driving a old 50's Ford turck. Hope this helps...keep us posted.