PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Accel Gen 7 please help- lots of fire!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Accel Gen 7 please help- lots of fire!!!

I'm helping a friend with an LS1/Gen 7 setup. Does anyone know if the crank position sensor in the LS1 will work with a Gen 7? Some parts of Accel's web site seems to indicate it will work, but some of their documentation says the LS1 has a 24 tooth ring and the Gen 7 will only work with a 4 tooth ring.

Also, lets say I was just concerned with maximum horsepower and just a little driveability, what sensors would I need? I'm uncertian if I need the Manifold Surface Temp sensor, the Inlet Air Temp sensor, the MAF is gone already. I know I need the TPS, the MAP, the cam position sensor and crank sensor. It's got a wideband O2 sensor. Am I on the right track?

About the knock sensor- do I need anything to interface the stock LS1 knock sensor to the Gen 7? We may go to a solid lifter cam, will the knock sensor work with this?

I've done a few EFI conversions, but this is my first time with a Gen 7. Getting information on the capabilities and requirements of the Gen 7 isn't easy. I want to get everything I can out of the thing.

Please help me out.

Here's a pic of my 95 Roadmaster LT1 to 89 IROC conversion, did it all myself and it started and went into closed loop on the first try. I'm really good at soldering wires

Name:  04.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  64.1 KB

Here's my home made jet go-kart-

I built this for about $200, the turbine was made from a huge turbocharger off an M-60 army tank. This is the slowest cheapest POS I ever took to the strip, it's also the most fun. It does 70mph in just under 20 seconds. I was on Junkyard Wars with a similar project.

Now I'm just trying to set up this Gen 7 and I don't want you all to think I'm a total noob. If anyone needs help with a jet engine or any laser/waterjet cut parts let me know. We have some awesome laser and waterjets where I work. Thanks for your time.

Chris
Old 12-14-2004, 12:13 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he has the LS1 gen7 then it will plug into the cam and crank sensors and set the software for LS1 in the config menu. The directions really dont help much for LS1 stuff. If you just have the gen7 ECU without the LS1 ignition box then you need a regular crank trigger and cant use it to drive the LS1 coils but the complete LS1 setup works with the stock crank trigger/coils.

the MST sensor just has to touch the intake near the port, I just made a little bracket. If you have the newest firmware ECU you can turn off the MST sensor if you wish.

I'm not sure what they use for a knock sensor, the stock LS1 sensors dont plug right in - I believe its an optional module. I wouldnt bother with the knock sensors on a solid roller.

Craig at DFI is very helpful and if you get stuck he is the guy to talk to. I have had good luck with mine so far but it takes a little work to get going and there is a little learning curve.

Good luck and love the go cart
Old 12-17-2004, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice, if you're ever near Augusta, let me know and I'll get the kart ready.

You're driving.

Quick Reply: LS1 Accel Gen 7 please help- lots of fire!!!