PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody that knows anything about OBD-II emisions testing please come in.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 03:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody that knows anything about OBD-II emisions testing please come in.

Well here in NH we are finally getting the OBD-II emisions test. Problem is, nobody really knows how it works. My dad is a mechanic for a local municipality and he called the DOT to find out what the deal was with the system. He was told that they really have no idea what's going on right now and that the private company that rents the machinery ($50 a month per computer) is contacting inspections stations, the state, and local media telling them that this state needs to meet the federal mandate by April 1st. Anyway, I know that my non existant emisions equipment will pass the OBD-II test but, can they fail you if your throwing an airbag light or abs light? Apparently, if you fail they will pull your plates and you have 60 days to repair the car. I don't know how long this will last, apparently after Maine tried this for a year they told the company to shove their computers up their ***.

Cliff notes: Will I fail if I'm throwing an Airbag or ABS light?

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 12-21-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know the answer about the airbag or abs lights for sure...

Here in TN they hook up to the port, and make sure at least 3 of 5 monitors report they are in "ready" status. Any of the five monitors, if they are in ready status, can't be reporting any problems. The monitors are things like o2 sensors, maf operation, etc. After a pcm reset it takes a few miles of driving to put the monitors in ready status again, at which time they will trigger a code again if there was a problem detected.

I'm under the impression that an SES light would be an automatic fail, but I would think ABS or airbag would be exempt unless it was also a safety inspection.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:27 PM
10 Second Club

Yea, I know that they test for readiness of all the emisions equipment and check the O2 sensors but it also says it can detect brake problems and things like that. I just don't know if an ABS light would be grounds for failure.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:35 PM
12 Second Club

shouldnt be an issue

all OBD-II is a scan for codes that are in the computer for operating the Motor and Emissions stuff. Get your computer scanned...from a place like Autozone. if they find something you fail if they dont you pass lol