PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Probably dumb but hey im Paranoid

Old 12-22-2004, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probably dumb but hey im Paranoid

I just ordered me some QTP LT's and catted Y pipe, so my focus point here will be the A/F ratio.

(Right now i have SLP Loudmouth)..Because of anxiety, i kno i will want to install the headers or have them installed ASAP. now i kno they can make my A/F ratio correct with tuning so thats a plus, but im wondering how it will change More rich or more Lean? im asuming lean, but how much of a difference as opposed to stock?

now i kno i will most likeyl not enjoy the sound of the LM and LT's so i am hopping on the bandwagon with the next GMMG GP or sale. Could the catback alone after the install of the headers effect my A/F ratio at all or noticeably. would it just be better to put the headers with the GMMG already there...or is it safe to do the headers and tuning, then get the GMMG and slap iit on in place of the LM?
Old 12-22-2004, 05:51 PM
12 Second Club

anybody ttt?
Old 12-22-2004, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the car has the abilitly to tune itself within reason, thats what ltrims are for, the fine tune the main sections of fueling and add the amount needed to make up for changes in the way the engine runs, .... even timing within reason gets corrected, if it needs to have less..
Old 12-22-2004, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LT's will have a tendency to run rich w/o tuning
Old 12-22-2004, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

anybody TTT? would the swap with tuned LT's obviously...the swap from SLP Loudmouth to GMMG have anny effect? if so how much?
Old 12-22-2004, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

get a third oppinion, but i already answered the question...
Old 12-22-2004, 10:52 PM
12 Second Club

well im just wondering if there will really be any difference shown to the computer...i mean obvious ones are slight air restriction, and huge sound change, but thats to the owner of the vehicle. i understand the car will do minor tuning to itself so yeah im just curious if the car will notice or change anything really because of it
Old 12-22-2004, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
LT's will have a tendency to run rich w/o tuning
so then you put an intake on to lean it out... back to a perfect AFR
Old 12-22-2004, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

yes, the computer will see that it needs to pull out the extra fuel and will bring it back down the the 14.7 af ratio via ltrims and strims, then at wot, your ltrims will be added "if positive" or subtracted to make up for the difference.. the pe vs rpm table is set up for a value of 14.7 plus the amount of fuel requested in that table, therefor the computer tries its hardest to hit the 14.7 via "cells" in the pcm that record the data to make the af a 14.7. thats why the have o2 sensors on our cars..
Old 12-23-2004, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

so realistically...if all tuned right with the setup of QTP LT's Catted Y and SLP Loudmouth...swapping the Loudmouth with a GMMG is really nothing to worry about...because both flow well enough and really show little to no difference with air trestriction? and the computer eill adjust accordingly on top of it if needed?
Old 12-23-2004, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
so realistically...if all tuned right with the setup of QTP LT's Catted Y and SLP Loudmouth...swapping the Loudmouth with a GMMG is really nothing to worry about...because both flow well enough and really show little to no difference with air trestriction? and the computer eill adjust accordingly on top of it if needed?
correcto... with boltons your computer generally has enough ability to compensate... Your fuel trims might be a little off or even in some cases extremely off, but until you start changing the internal dynamics of your engine it should be a problem... WOT fueling will change though and that's something you may want to look at... also, generally exhaust mods will richen you up some, and likewise intake mods will lean you out... it only makes too much sense...

Search this Thread