PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SD Tuning with EFI Live, Wide Band, and LS1 Edit Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SD Tuning with EFI Live, Wide Band, and LS1 Edit Questions.

Guys, I am in the process of putting in a 239/246 .649"/.613" 106lsa 106icl cam in a stock 01 shorblock with home ported 5.3 litre heads cut .030" (yes I have flycutt the pistons).

I believe I will need to SD tune to get this thing to have good manners on the street but haven't made up my mind yet. (cam has 5.5 degrees more overlap at .050" then the TREX).

What would be a good way to go about tuning my car in SD mode using EFI Live, the LM-1 Wide band sensor (no rpm, map, logging capability but will get the cable to log these if necessary and I believe it will be), and LS1 Edit. I already have ls1 edit unlimited for 97-04 cars so please do not try to convince me to by HP Tuners which I believe makes SD tuning a breeze.

I set the car up in open loop before tearing down (really didn't have to tune the ve table to do this, just unplugged the 02s). Wood a good way be to plug the 02s back in and try to tune the VE tables to get near 0 ltrms at all throttle and rpm positions. I would want to reset my maf values back to stock correct? I have a SLP 85 mm maf if that makes any difference. What all would need to be adjusted to do this? I do not have EFI Live Pro so I cannot reset things with EFI Live, only Edit.

If I run speed density I will be scrapping the maf all together after tuning and using a section of 4" high temp silicon hose to bridge the lid to the tb. Will this impact my ve's enough that if I tune from ltrms that my a/f will be way off after removing the maf?

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. The car will be up and running by the end of this weekend.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thinking about just continuing with open loop. Do you think my cam is too big for open loop tuning?
Old 12-28-2004, 10:32 AM
FormerVendor

Open loop should be fine. THe narrow band o2 sensors complete the loop. With out them you will always be in open loop
Old 12-28-2004, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. I think there was some confusion in the thread I started over on the internal engine section. You don't think it is too big then.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:59 AM
FormerVendor

Open loop would prolly be better, unless you want to fight with sleepy o2 sensors
Old 12-28-2004, 03:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can tune it either way.The car can be done fairly easy in closed loop if you wanted.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
You can tune it either way.The car can be done fairly easy in closed loop if you wanted.
So you think it could be tuned in closed loop to hugh. I guess it could. The only thing I don't like in closed loop is the fact that my oxygen sensors would deffinately wear out faster given the fact that this cam has 30.5 degrees of overlap at .050" causing a decent amount of unburnt fuel to contaminate them. Plus, they probably wouldn't switch very well given the erratic nature of going from unburnt fuel to lean, unburnt fuel to lean, unburnt fuel to lean.

If you think differently let me know.