Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lead me in tuning my car, with hp tuners

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default lead me in tuning my car, with hp tuners

ok well ill be gettin hp tuners soon and i want to get a real good understanding on it all before i do so. i have been doing so much reading on this and i think i have a lot figured out but here is the situation and please tell me how to fix it, i have all the bolt ons an predator tune right now and i will go back to stock

step one: turn off egr, air, cags, cot...im sure this will be easier to do when i have the program. fan temps, rev limiter too

step two:replace the ported maf with the factory one or i read to unplug it? and tune for the bolt ons. to tune for this i check out the fuel trims and i adjust what tables and how do i adjsut them for plus or minus fuel trims? and over the whole table?

step three: car drinks gas at idle how do i fix the idle fuel trims?

step four: put on the maf and calibrate the maf table for this by lookin at fuel trims. when i do this adjustment is if over the whole table? and what table is it?

step five: after a few good wot runs record the air fuel mixture and adjsut the tables in the specific cells accordingly to obtain what i want.

when i do this does the car just have to be hot? do i need to adjsut anything in open loop? when the car is cold? also would adjsut the timing too. what would i want to adjsut that to on the stock internal motor? any other details or steps im leaving out??

after i get this figured out the cam and heads are goin on, how will this effect adjsutments to certain tables, let me know becuas once i figure this all out im gonna get it!
Old 12-31-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

to the top please
Old 01-02-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
ok well ill be gettin hp tuners soon and i want to get a real good understanding on it all before i do so. i have been doing so much reading on this and i think i have a lot figured out but here is the situation and please tell me how to fix it, i have all the bolt ons an predator tune right now and i will go back to stock

step one: turn off egr, air, cags, cot...im sure this will be easier to do when i have the program. fan temps, rev limiter too
EGR
- Engine: General: EGR Enabled = Off
- Engine Diagnostics: DTC's
-- EGR DTC 400, 401, 402, 404, 405 = Error Mode 3, SES Enabled=Off

AIR
- Engine: General: AIR Pump: Disable Coolant Temp = 250
- Engine Diagnostics: DTC's
-- AIR DTC 410, 412, 418 = Error Mode 3, SES Enabled=Off

CAGS
- Transmission: M6 C.A.G.S.: Disable %TPS = 0

COT
- Engine: Fuel Control: COT, Lean Cruise: CAT Over Temp Protection Enabled: Off

Fans
- System: General: Fans Stage 1 (On/Off/MinMPH/MaxMPH): 178/173/30/35
- System: General: Fans Stage 2 (On/Off): 183/178
[I use the above fan settings with a 160* thermostat)

Rev limiters
- There are a few different tables located in:
-- Engine: Fuel Control: Fuel Cutoff, DFCO

step two:replace the ported maf with the factory one or i read to unplug it? and tune for the bolt ons. to tune for this i check out the fuel trims and i adjust what tables and how do i adjsut them for plus or minus fuel trims? and over the whole table?
Unless you can accurately build a new MAF table for your ported MAF, I'd revert to the stock unit and cut your losses. The software will have a histogram table where it plots the LTFT value vs. MAP vs. RPM. In general, you take the results of this histogram table and apply it against your Primary VE table. The manual has the details.

step three: car drinks gas at idle how do i fix the idle fuel trims?
This should be fixed when you complete step two.

step four: put on the maf and calibrate the maf table for this by lookin at fuel trims. when i do this adjustment is if over the whole table? and what table is it?
Not sure, sorry. I'm still running MAF-less.

step five: after a few good wot runs record the air fuel mixture and adjsut the tables in the specific cells accordingly to obtain what i want.

when i do this does the car just have to be hot? do i need to adjsut anything in open loop? when the car is cold? also would adjsut the timing too. what would i want to adjsut that to on the stock internal motor? any other details or steps im leaving out??
You shouldn't take your car WOT until it the engine oil is up to temp (not necessarily the coolant). If you have idle/driveability problems, it's easier to fix them in open loop... just less fingers in the bowl. Adjust the timing after you've gotten your closed loop operation nailed (idle & part throttle). There doesn't seem to be a defacto procedure for nailing timing. Some are of the opinion you run as much as you can without detonation; others say the same thing but back off two degrees because max isn't necessarily max power; others do it on a dyno. Version one didn't work for me in the past, so I'll try backing off a couple of degrees this time.

after i get this figured out the cam and heads are goin on, how will this effect adjsutments to certain tables, let me know becuas once i figure this all out im gonna get it!
You'll likely be revisiting most of the same tables mentioned above. Get comfortable
Old 01-12-2005, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

ok so does anyone have a scale to go from the 2000 injectors to the LS6 injectors? cause that is the only thing that is keeping me back right now is cause i dont know how im going to tune that with the injectors already on. i can put the stock maf ends back on, or is there anyother route i can go? let me know i wanna beable to know how to do this before i start testing on my car.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

the ls6 injectors are the same as a 2001 f-car, so i would open a 2001 bin and copy injector tables.

Ryan
Old 01-12-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

well my friend has a 2002 could i just go into his computer and copy his table? and how would i go about doing that, is it easy?
Old 01-12-2005, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just use the bin repository above
Old 01-12-2005, 09:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go to horists site listed in this forum...download a 98, 01,02 bin and be done with it...unless you have an 02 license you cant read his tune from his car...but you can read downloaded files off the net.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

why download all of those years? and when i do that i just copy and paste or what? yeah i do plan on getting 2002 for this guy, he is buying it for me and ill do his car
Old 01-12-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

He meant download a bin of any of those years (they're all 28lb injectors)... and yes, you can open the IFR table and other fuel related tables and hit the "copy" button in HPT then go to your file, open the table and hit the "paste" button
Old 01-12-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

cool, thanks
Old 01-12-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

98's are a little smaller than 01-02's, not by much.

Ryan
Old 01-12-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks for all the info guys. how do i go about tuning for the ported MAF? guess i need to get it all right before i mess with that one right?
Old 01-12-2005, 01:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slow
98's are a little smaller than 01-02's, not by much.

Ryan
i thought they were all 28.8?