PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanted to share my problem and fix.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanted to share my problem and fix.

Recently, I nticed a slight miss at idle that got progressively worse. Then it threw Bank 1 and and 2 rich codes. And started to miss at idle more and more. It was a very slight miss at first so I just disregarded it as my plugs (TR6s) gapped at .040 and I chagned those to a set of new ones at .035. None of the plugs I pulled out were fouled out. All looked cool. The new plugs didn't fix the problem. I was suspecting it could be my 02 sensors. I also changed the wires for some Taylors, so it couldn't be that. Car felt weird. No loss of power at part throttle except it sputtered a bit if you let it idle in first with feet off the pedals and then give it gas it wanted to gitter a bit and then take off normally. Everything else was fine part to heavy throttle. When I would go full throttle though it would power fine and then stubble over 3500 up intermitently. Felt like it cut out a bit then would go back to power and then cuts out a bit. Felt stumbly. Didn't know what it could be, new injectors, new plugs, new wires. The only think else that I thought it could be, is the 02 sensors, or a coil not doing it's job. Well, I pulled my plugs and regaped them at .045 and bought 2 new o2 sensors and it fixed the problem. Car now runs great. Hope this helps somebody. It was the o2s
Old 01-12-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info... 02 sensors (front ... B1S1 or B2S1) are key for a good closed loop (normal driving) tune/car
Old 01-12-2005, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah that happened to my 98z28 and it was due, anybody w/ a 98 or 99 w/high miles should look at there o2's first if everything else seems in order, they usually last about 5years.... I went through the same things as you finding out it was $85ea o2's... but at least all my other stuff was new/modded, haha
Old 01-13-2005, 03:06 AM
9 Second Club

always listen to your tuner
Old 01-13-2005, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nickn20
always listen to your tuner
Nick, do you think that the O2s might have been on their way out when we tuned the car, causing the slight rich condition on the dyno and then you compensated for the extra fuel, then later the o2s went dead completly and now the car is running lean on the current tune due to the earlier changes? I did a quck hot lap and pulled a plug, it looked cool, but a bit on the lighter side then before. Is it a good idea to double check the AFR?