Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mc68hc58

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mc68hc58

I'm interested in making my own OBD II interface but can't find a supplier for this chip. Tried Digi-key and many other of the big suppliers but no luck. Anyone know of a supplier (preferably online) that will sell these in single quantities? Thanks!
Old 01-13-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just use a Freescale MCU with an integrated J1850. MC9S12DJ256BCFU has one I belive. You can get a Metrowerks compiler that is good for up to 12k of C code or unlimited assembly code for FREE, has an integrated debugger and simulator also. See P&E Micro for Background Debug Interface to use with the software.

Try ELM Electronics if you just want a simple ODBII interface that is easy to build. They are not very fast though. You will not be able log 20 PIDS per second, maybe 5 PID's per second on a good day.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mc68hc58

Don't see that one in the Digi-Key catalog either. Anyway, I had planned on using an 80C31 since I have an assembler and in-circut emulator for them and have done a good bit of programming for them.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ELM323 - OBD (ISO) to RS232 Interpreter
The ELM323 completes our trio of OBDII ICs, allowing you to talk to your ISO 9141-2 or ISO 14230-4 standard OBDII equipped vehicle using an RS232 serial connection. It transparently converts between a 10.4KHz ISO data stream and standard ASCII characters, allowing trouble codes and operating parameters to be easily retrieved without the need for special software. No knowledge of data formatting, error checking, bus initiation etc. is needed either, as the ELM323 handles all of it for you.
The present version of the ELM323 (v2.0) provides several programmable features that the previous versions did not offer. It now allows programmable header bytes, adjustable timeouts, the ability to report in the packed data mode, and offers a special monitoring mode as well. This is in addition to all of the capabilities that the v1.x ICs offered - the full seven byte command structure, two line (K and L) initiation, software selectable linefeeds and character echoing, and the visual feedback provided by the four LED outputs.
If you currently use one of our v1.x ICs, you will be pleased to know that this new version is pin-compatible with the old, so you can simply replace your present IC with one of these, and immediately begin enjoying these new features.

Available in: 14-pin PDIP $17.50 CDN, 14-pin SOIC $19.50 CDN