Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Megasquirt etc ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Megasquirt etc ideas.

Suppose you have a LS1 motor with no wiring or PCM, to retrofit in a car that never came with a genIII.

The easiest way is to buy the MSD ignition box and the carb intake.

I was wondering however if I could buy the MSD system to handle spark ($299) and run the fueling off megasquirt (approx $200).

The megasquirt uses Coolant temp,intake air temp,TPS, Map sensor,and RPM from the MSD box so i can't see why it wouldn't work.

It also seems to be the cheapest way to control a genIII motor without a factory harness and ECM.

Feedback and comments?
Old 01-15-2005, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

I see no reason why you couldn't do that.

Andrew
Old 01-15-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

That is $500 in just fuel/spark parts right there. You can get coils, harness, and a programmed PCM for less than $500. And the GM PCM is absolutely ideal for running the LS1, and in my view compares favorably against a $5000 Motec system provided you have HPTuners. There is absolutely no reason not to use the stock PCM, and running carbs on this engine makes no sense. Why would you get the best small block ever and then run it with technology for the turn of the LAST century?

Ben

Originally Posted by 350ws6
Suppose you have a LS1 motor with no wiring or PCM, to retrofit in a car that never came with a genIII.

The easiest way is to buy the MSD ignition box and the carb intake.

I was wondering however if I could buy the MSD system to handle spark ($299) and run the fueling off megasquirt (approx $200).

The megasquirt uses Coolant temp,intake air temp,TPS, Map sensor,and RPM from the MSD box so i can't see why it wouldn't work.

It also seems to be the cheapest way to control a genIII motor without a factory harness and ECM.

Feedback and comments?
Old 01-17-2005, 07:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
That is $500 in just fuel/spark parts right there. You can get coils, harness, and a programmed PCM for less than $500. And the GM PCM is absolutely ideal for running the LS1, and in my view compares favorably against a $5000 Motec system provided you have HPTuners. There is absolutely no reason not to use the stock PCM, and running carbs on this engine makes no sense. Why would you get the best small block ever and then run it with technology for the turn of the LAST century?

Ben
As I understand it, Megasquirt allows you to make adjustments on the fly, ie as you make changes on the keyboard, the engine responds.... unlike the GM ECU. We all know the GM ECU is powerful but being able to make real time changes is a huge benefit surely?
Old 01-17-2005, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

I've seen Megasquirt in action, and it looks like most everything, except wide-band support, that's currently possible with HPTuners is also possible with Megasquirt, and even a little more...like 2-stroke and different intake/fueling options.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by leaftye
I've seen Megasquirt in action, and it looks like most everything, except wide-band support, that's currently possible with HPTuners is also possible with Megasquirt, and even a little more...like 2-stroke and different intake/fueling options.

Parish8's megasquirt accepts a wideband input and is actually targeting A:F ratio on the fly. Works like a champ, too - better than hand edited VE tables. FYI.

Also, I'd go with an EDIS system and get both spark & fuel control into the megasquirt. You won't spend any more than you would with HP tuners, and I can confirm no matter HOW quickly a "reflash" takes place, nothing beats instantaneous changes on the fly.

-scott
Old 01-18-2005, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

I'm thinking about trying Megasquirt on my CRX. If I can get a hang of it, I'll try it again on whatever truck I'll buy later this year. After that, who knows....
Old 01-24-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I previous megasquirted a 2001 8.1L (Vortec 8100) in my 1967 pickup.

the stock tune that comes on the chip when you buy the kit was able to get my 8100 started and ideling. I even drove it for a short while. within a few hours using a narrow band O2 i had it driving execelent! very easy to use and tuning on the fly is wonderful.

it has a very nice warmup wizzard, so as you start the engine in cold weather, you can hit + or - to enrich or lean out for that certain temperature.

the newest addon for megasquirt is called Megasquirt II, features fuel control to the micro seconds.

My 8100 sent some rods thorugh the oil pan, so i've now fit a 2002 6.0L LQ4 with megasquirt. for the ignition, i am running a ford ignition module (EDIS 8) from early 1990 lincolns with the 4.6 ford modular motor. the ignition module will fire any wasted spark coil, so i use coil packs from mid 90s 3.8L or 3.1L chevy cars. I have 4 of them wired to the EDIS 8 module. the module uses a 36 tooth wheel with one missing tooth, a crank sensor, and the module and that is it. the module has 4 outputs, A B C D, which fire in that order when it sees the missing tooth, so all ya got to do is wire your firing order correctly.

the great thing about megasquirt is it is able to control the EDIS 8 module!
just like a speed density MAP / RPM ve table, there is a MAP/RPM timing table. you just enter the timing you want and the megasquirt does everything else.

in a few days i will have detailed pics of how i mounted the wheel and the sensor to my 6.0L engine.

visit my website and check back, new updates to come in the next few days!

www.lt1swap.com

Quick Reply: LS1 Megasquirt etc ideas.