Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SD Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SD Tuning

I'm in the process of rescaling my Main VE Table for SD. I've been following this writeup For the time being, I do not have a WBO2 to tune with, just using the LTFT's.

A few questions come to mind while I do this.

1. Does this look similar to what a SD tune should look like? I know these will vary based on individual set ups. (see attachment, can't post pics tonight for some reason)

2. What does my Backup VE Table need to look like? I was under the impression that if the MAF were to fail under normal driving conditions, the PCM would then revert back to the Backup VE table for a safe rich condition.

3. Another_User: If you are reading this, where did you pick this up at?
Originally Posted by Another_User

Nothing cleans up your intake quite like polished 1/8 inch thick aircraft grade aluminum!
Attached Thumbnails SD Tuning-just-graph.jpg  
Old 01-24-2005, 10:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

SD Tuning.. its a lot more fun to tune the car in SD mode than it is in MAF mode..

We have made it as easy as possible to tune cars in SD mode with our product.. If you notice in 1.6 we've added copy/paste special functionality between our scanner and editor. Disable your LTFT's and copy your STFT histogram. Then, in your VE table use the copy special feature and just use the %-half option.

You mention secondary VE table. If your calibration supports this then when a MAF DTC is set,k you will need to tune the secondary VE table. Send your .bin over to support@hptuners.com and we'll fix that for you so you can use your primary VE table and still tune in SD mode.

If you do pickup our EIO cable, the AFR Err % makes SD tuning even easier! With the AFR Err % you could iron out your VE table in under 30 minutes.

- Keith, HP Tuners.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Also, we have another HP Tuners first product coming out soon, Speed Density Enhanced for 1bar users. It has several major tweaks to make tuning SD mode on 1bar vehicles more flexable including the fix for you to use the primary VE table.

If you are interested in beta testing this product for free, send an e-mail over to support and they will get you hooked up.

- Keith, HP Tuners
Old 01-25-2005, 12:21 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey,

I have a 93 LT1 Trans Am, they came Speed density from the factory. Any case I bought a cold air years back and it was for a 94+ maf car, well this obviously leaves a gap for the MAF. What we did was cut a peace of metal tubing out to the length and diameter of the stock maf and put that in place. Mines is mainly covered up but with some time under a grinding and polishing wheel it can look real nice.

Hope this helped
Old 01-25-2005, 06:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Magnus
You mention secondary VE table. If your calibration supports this then when a MAF DTC is set,k you will need to tune the secondary VE table. Send your .bin over to support@hptuners.com and we'll fix that for you so you can use your primary VE table and still tune in SD mode.
Maybe you can PM some help my direction? I just tried to open a .bin with my .tun software and it didn't work too well. not sure if you will be able to open my .tun
Old 01-25-2005, 07:45 AM
FormerVendor

IIRC He made it
Old 01-25-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Junkie

HumpinSS - IIRC? Not up on all my acronyms yet. I guess the more appropriate question is, where do you get the material from?

For ***** and giggles, I rescaled my backup VE table to match my Main VE table, then scaled the entire backup VE by 1.05. Car ran like ****. I restored the backup VE, reflashed, and the car ran fine.

I'm getting concerned the LTFT scaling of the VE table is not working very well. After this mornings 40 mile drive to work, the LTFT's at cruise and idle indicate I should have negative values in my main VE table. I'm tempted to put the HPE tune back in, hook up the MAF, and wait till I get the WBO2 sensor to do this.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:06 AM
FormerVendor

IIRC If I remember correctly....

You added 5% of fuel if you were allready running - trims you are really - now and the car is most likely running to rich
Old 01-25-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Junkie

IIRC - makes perfect sense...

Things are getting fuzzy now. What is the PCM doing with the backup VE table while the MAF is disconnected? Up until this morning, I've been making all my changes to the main VE table. The first drive after disconnecting the MAF was like ****. I drove about 40 miles scaring the hell out of everyone (including me), came home, adjusted the valued in the main VE table per the LTFT's and the second drive was awesome compared to the first.

All the changes since the the second drive have been minor compared to the first, and drivability has improved or stayed the same until I modified the backup VE table.

I've got about 6 hours left before I can try this, but for now, does anyone know how the car will run if the MAF is plugged back in? I would guess it run's like **** or not at all.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:26 AM
FormerVendor

Once you throw a code for the maf being disconnected the computer will default to using the Secondary ve table and the low octane spark table. This is probably another reason why your car ran crappy when the maf was disconnected. If you make a map that mimicks the secondary ve table and log the average of the LTRIMS on bank 1 and 2 (calc pid) you should be able to take that back to your sec ve table to start dialing it in.

Make sure you copy the high octane table to the low octane table before you start this and before you start mucking around with the maf disconnected
Old 01-25-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my understanding, the 98-00 cars use the Secondary (Backup) VE Table when using SD mode ... problem w/it is there's not as much resolution (10kpa resolution instead of 5kpa) ...

So for SD tuning you need to be modifying the secondary table
Old 01-25-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Spark tables are ok. Using the stock high octane spark table for both the high and low octane tables. I figured I could work the spark tables out on the dyno after I got the VE table(s) right.

I just downloaded a .tun of a stock 2002 ws6 and sure enough, no back up VE table. This makes things a bit more clear.

I am wondering now why when I made changes to the primary VE would it make a diffrence in drivability if the PCM was using the backup VE table
Old 01-25-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
Spark tables are ok. Using the stock high octane spark table for both the high and low octane tables. I figured I could work the spark tables out on the dyno after I got the VE table(s) right.

I just downloaded a .tun of a stock 2002 ws6 and sure enough, no back up VE table. This makes things a bit more clear.

I am wondering now why when I made changes to the primary VE would it make a diffrence in drivability if the PCM was using the backup VE table
Was your MAF plugged in?
Old 01-25-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tomaSS
Was your MAF plugged in?
No sir. Plug to the MAF has been beautifully tapped up with the rest of the wiring harnes. I've got all my logs archived since I started this. I'm going to back up to square one and start over witht the secondary VE table.

I appreciate you guys jumping in and helping out.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, what I did was:

Without the MAF plugged in
1). Adjusted the secondary VE table until my Ltrims were all within -4 and 0.
2). Then, used a spreadsheet to derive my primary table values.
3). Then, hand smoothed the primary table using the table values and 3-d graph.

Plugged the MAF back in
4). Logged my Ltrims after about 50 miles of driving.
5). Scaled the MAF table until all Ltrims were back within the -4 to 0 range.

My car runs great. I need to get a wideband and take it to a dyno. But until then, this method worked really good for me. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Magnus
SD Tuning.. its a lot more fun to tune the car in SD mode than it is in MAF mode..

We have made it as easy as possible to tune cars in SD mode with our product.. If you notice in 1.6 we've added copy/paste special functionality between our scanner and editor. Disable your LTFT's and copy your STFT histogram. Then, in your VE table use the copy special feature and just use the %-half option.

If you do pickup our EIO cable, the AFR Err % makes SD tuning even easier! With the AFR Err % you could iron out your VE table in under 30 minutes.

- Keith, HP Tuners.
is the feature to disable the use of the secondary VE in 1.6 or will that be in the next version w/ 1 bar support? If you have the secondary VE like i do, do you "paste special" to that table or does it only work with the primary VE?
Old 01-25-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

I found a company that custom cuts aluminum tubing to spec, and had a 3.5" OD by 3.5" long piece of 1/8" thick aircraft grade aluminum cut. It comes in pretty decent shape, and then I hand polished it (it comes fairly dull) to a mirror shine inside and out. I am very pleased with the results. The aluminum will run you a few bucks, and shipping is terrible for small orders. I actually made two tubes.

Since you run off a backup VE table, tune your secondary. Then copy and paste the rows to the primary and hand-smooth. Be careful, your VE table will not necessarily be perfectly smooth. Move the VE table a large amount once, and then move in .5 increments in either direction. Pay particular attention to throttle transient and spikey areas. Once you get it zeroed in pretty close you should be good to go. If you need some help let me know. If you need the link for the aluminum place let me know too.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:37 PM
TECH Junkie

I've set up 4 maps (histograms) in EFILive to plot the LTFT's for both the backup and main VE tables. I'm updating both tables as I proceed. The 3d view of the tables are taking a nice shape.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Could use a little more help. I've just about got all my ltft's in the -4 to 0 range (highest value is +0.6) except for one cell. Idle. 1200rpm x 50 kPa, The best LTFT I can get to is -7.9. This has normally been in the -15 range. Now at -7.9 I get a really wierd idle. Car sounds more like a 4 banger with a misfire. I'm pretty sure this has to do with the idle tune.

I was planning on using gojo's idle transition tuning method, but i need my MAF scaled proper before I can do that. I need my VE table in line before I can scale the MAF.

What can I do in the mean time to get the car to idle half *** decent while I finish dialing in my VE and MAF tables.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
Could use a little more help. I've just about got all my ltft's in the -4 to 0 range (highest value is +0.6) except for one cell. Idle. 1200rpm x 50 kPa, The best LTFT I can get to is -7.9. This has normally been in the -15 range. Now at -7.9 I get a really wierd idle. Car sounds more like a 4 banger with a misfire. I'm pretty sure this has to do with the idle tune.

I was planning on using gojo's idle transition tuning method, but i need my MAF scaled proper before I can do that. I need my VE table in line before I can scale the MAF.

What can I do in the mean time to get the car to idle half *** decent while I finish dialing in my VE and MAF tables.
Disable proportional idle. Your trims will magically fall into place.