PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reflash and Edit

Old 02-03-2005, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reflash and Edit

If I reflash the PCM, will I have to loose my vin with Edit. I'm thinking of having the PCM reflashed to an 02 version, or just buying an 02 PCM. I have edit on the truck now and need to know if the consequenses doing this will have on me using LS1Edit on the truck again. Will I have to buy another licsense? Can I get my current Vin input on the new PCM? BTW, it's a 2000 truck.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good question... I never tried because I was leary of losing the PCM all together... there'd be a few issues:

1. LS1 Edit is PCM locked but also VIN locked (you can ask Windy City about that.. dealership accidentally flashed his spare PCM w/my VIN ... , both 2000 VINs I believe, and his cable wouldn't work until the right VIN was in)

2. When the LS1 Edit software reads the new OS it may not recognize it as a 2000 OS (probably won't) so may stop you right there... if it lets you proceed... not sure if there would be any ramifications...

If you buy another PCM then you'll definetly need a new license... LS1 Edit attaches to some kinda internal PCM ID or something so even if you have the same VIN it'll know it's not the same PCM

Also having a 2000 VIN in a 2002 OS may confuse the software... not sure exactly how it works but would take some experimenting to verify... and w/the cost of a new PCM could be pricey experimenting...

But my gut feeling is that you won't be able to ... and that you'd need another license for an 02 PCM w/the 02 vin ....
Old 02-03-2005, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is the reason for wanting to go to an 02 pcm? if so, you have to make sure that it is the same type of throttle body or you truck wont run. if you have electric throttle or not. makes a difference.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Electronic T/B's didn't come out in the trucks until 03. I am wanting to change it mainly due to EGR. I want it off, but have read horror stories about deleting it with edit. I know there have been several guys swap a 99 pcm to an 02 one, and had it tuned, but I guess the main question was will edit still work without buying a new license. Guess I'll have to buy a new one. If I have to do that, I may as well get HP Tuners then with the edit trade in.

Search this Thread